Johnson: The Big Swingin' Challenge...let's clean this workout's ride feed up!

I agree, I looked up my 3-minute best and it’s not even 130%. I think I could do it once, by itself, with a warm up and cool down, maybe :grimacing:

2 Likes

Someone set up a group workout

That could be awesome

1 Like

Mine is 320 for the season (so not far off 130%), but it’s literally the last three minutes of a ramp test I did back in February. That means it was an effort to complete failure, and I’ve not bested it since base. That tells me all I need to know about trying to attempt even just one of those efforts. :skull_and_crossbones:

I was thinking the same. Though I have to wait till they bring Group Workouts to mobile

1 Like

With TR anything over 2 minutes was a massive struggle. Last year in late January I switched to doing more endurance work (FasCat sweet spot base), and by June I was able to do a 3x3-min at 133% with 3-min recovery, 122% with a 5-min recovery, and 120%. It was 82F outside and I bagged the 4th interval after a minute at 121%. That was 4 days after a 20-min field test that bumped FTP from 243 to 260. So I think its possible, on a good day, to swing this challenge but I’d want to do a anaerobic capacity block and then vo2 block before Johnson in order to prime the pump and wrap my brain around the suffering.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look that bad, I’ll do it Sunday morning.

4 Likes

After a 140km gravel ride yesterday, Johnson will have to wait a few more days.

2 Likes

I tried and failed :slight_smile:

It’s hard, got to 2 minutes into the 4th big interval and my legs just died. Felt like the last minute of a ramp test.

3 Likes

Come at it on a Tuesday when your fresh

Oh man…you were close! I like the fact that you made the workout beat you physically…most riders are banging on the down arrow at the third interval or just don’t even start the 4th interval. :joy: But you definitely took that 4th interval on. Yikes. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I gave it my best shot :exploding_head:

I guess this would be easier/more appropriate at the end of a training block/when you have a (hopefully) slightly underestimated FTP?

Or maybe someone who has a great Maximal Aerobic Power relative to their FTP?

Maybe. @jzhowie was right on the edge of completing that workout. When I did it I used bicarb…if @jzhowie used & tolerated an effective dose of bicarb then that would have made the difference. Or so says I.

2 Likes

Redemption ride today, similar kinds of power/time outputs required. Holding VO2 power is much easier on hills.
Screenshot_20210627-185428_Chrome

1 Like

I’m picking your FTP is slightly understated at 250? 0.92 seems reasonably high for four and a half hours? Admittedly I’m no expert at power analysis, and your Average Power is a lot lower, but still that’s a bunch :wink:

Yeah, some moving/stationary funkiness going on with the ride. Total time was 5 hours. Possibly making actual IF lower?

It was a very hard effort, full on race pace on the climbs, but also lots of rest on the descents.

Intervals.icu has my ftp at 258, which is probably about right.

1 Like

lots of TROPHIES! :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

1 Like

My human coach gave be 3x3x3 all the time. This is easy

@130%?

Yeah….of course I am on a recovery week so I’ll hold this off but yeah I did this regular all the time.