Japanese Rice crackers as fuel?

You’re confusing fructose (fruit sugar) with HFCS.

1 Like

In either case, higher fructose might be ideal as workout fuel. By and large, most people overdose glucose and underdose fructose in their workout fuel these days.

2 Likes

I assumed you were talking about HFCS because I haven’t heard of a candy manufacturer “adding fructose” to sweets. They would typically add sugar (a glucose:fructose disaccharide) or HFCS (~45:55 mix). The latter is what is typically done in the US because corn subsidies make it incredibly cheap (from what I hear). Haribo goes out of their way to advertise that they don’t add HFCS to distinguish themselves from most US candy.

When I said 100% glucose, I’m was talking about the syrup used as the main ingredient. Sugar is the next most prominent ingredient, hence the favorable ratio. Glucose:fructose would be at most ~2:1 ratio, which is why I opt for Haribo*. A Trolli gummy is going to be HFCS + sugar, which’ll be closer to 1:1, perhaps slightly skewed towards fructose.

*EDIT: as a singular “grab n go” gas station snack, I’ll opt for Haribo. For multiple snacks, it’s different. My last two race mixes were 1/2 Haribo (glucose syrup, sugar) + 1/2 Sour Patch (HFCS, sugar) + Doublestuf Oreos (sugar, flour, and HFCS). It’s all rough estimates. Trying to figure out combos of food which can reliably be grabbed out of convenience stores in a hurry.

I’ve also read some stuff which says 1:1 is better than 2:1. Haven’t dug too deep into it, though.

5:4 (or 1:0.8) seems to be the new trend.

Probably doesn’t really matter until you’re exceeding 100g/hr.

2 Likes

Perhaps the American HFCS candies and sodas are the new meta. Yay corn subsidies?

1 Like

I do find it amusing that the worst stuff turned out to be the best stuff all along.

1 Like

When you get into winter ultra territory people eat bacon and sticks of butter.

That stuff was probably written by me.

It’s about time.

Probably is beneficial when doing as little as 70-80g/hr, if I had to wager what the research will show 10 yrs from now.

Not missing anything! Rice is a great fuel. I’ve also used mochi a few times

1 Like

… which is a sophisticated modern version of the salted lard anyone working in the woods in the winter a century ago would live off.

1 Like

Amundsen wrote highly of pemmican as an arctic ration and praised the indigenous North Americans for it.

1 Like

Exogenous oxidation rates end up being higher, IIRC, if fructose is included well before approaching 90g/hr. I suspect this would be true down to as little as 50-60g/hr, but challenging to tease out in the literature without many repeat studies or very high subject numbers.

All things going perfectly, the higher glucose approach (2:1) at 70-80g/hr carbs is probably better.

But real world, any degree of dehydration compromises gut tolerance sufficiently to merit inclusion of fructose long before getting to 90-100g/hr. I think I’ve actually seen more cases where it seems likely that folks have saturated glucose transporters and caused GI distress than those who have done so with fructose. This is usually folks in using roughly 2.5:1-3.5:1 gluc:fruc, slightly compromised hydration, and 70-80g/hr overall.

1 Like

I love Japanese rice crackers, even the ones with the seaweed. But I would definitely cough on the crumbs while trying to breathe if I used them on the trainer.
“What was the cause of death?”
“TrainerRoad and Japanese rice crackers”

3 Likes