Is TrainerRoad Right for My Riding?

This is a pretty nuanced question which is probably why you haven’t gotten a lot of bites. Not sure I can answer whether it’s right for you, but you did trigger a number of thoughts at least.

• TR plans generally tend to tailored for more time crunched athletes, favoring intensity over LSD
  • You can substitute the shorter weekend sweet spot ride for a longer endurance ride and on a recent Podcast @Nate_Pearson said this is something they would like to automate in the future. For now, @mcneese.chad describes it exactly on this thread.
  • You’re free to extend your rides by adding more volume either before or after the structure, but it’s on you then to monitor your total TSS and ensure you aren’t digging yourself into a hole.
  • Many people also use a low or mid volume plan for their key quality workouts in the week and add rides on top, e.g. weekday race, group ride, desired LSD ride, etc. Obviously the same disclaimer applies about using self-coaching judgement to manage your TSS.
  • You can change the volume of each block in your plan such that you could do low or mid volume during the school year and high volume in the summer. Also in a recent podcast it was discussed that they are planning to allow you to do that kind of customization within any given week, e.g. short weekday rides but longer weekend ones.
  • Lastly, there are polarized plans available that may me closer to what you are comfortable with, but you need to enable them under your Account via the Early Access menu

IMO it’s best to think of the TR plans as a tool within your toolbox as a self-coached athlete, not a fully customized plan that you should follow to the T. I’m sure the team hopes to one day get to a level of sophistication where a truly customized plan can be spit out to address everyone’s unique needs, but until that point there are always going to be outliers.

10 Likes