Is the ramp test accurate?

interesting. Will read the thread and keep the worms in the can!

1 Like

Yea if youā€™ve done all your workouts for the last yearā€¦you definitely didnt just lose 10% of your ftp this last test.

The test isnt something to be afraid of. I think that might partly be a product of going so long without doing one. If Iā€™m being honestā€¦Iā€™m far more afraid of a threshold workout than a ramp test! The key is coming up with a plan and sticking to it, or at least doing the same thing every time.

For meā€¦Iā€™m on an erg trainer. When my legs start to fail, I throw in the towel. This always manifests itself in cadence dropping that I cant stop. The power will still be thereā€¦barely. But the cadence drop to an unsustainable level is inevitable, so I just pull the plug right when it starts. Maybe Iā€™m shortchanging myself on 2 or 3 wattsā€¦but the supreme effort to hold on for another 10 seconds just isnt worth it.

Anywayā€¦my only real point here is to come up with your own definition of ā€˜failureā€™ on the ramp test is, and then push yourself to that point, consistently, each test. For meā€¦I pull the plug that little bit early because I know I can get myself there regardless of my motivation on that particular day.

1 Like

Agree - I actually did a threshhold workout this morning - 95% of the higher FTP and was just fineā€¦will need to figure out what failure means for me!