Is it really a VO2max workout if you don't get anywhere near HRmax?

I’m comfortable saying I personally was leaving something on the table doing TR VO2 Max workouts in erg mode as prescribed and just riding the power target at whatever cadence felt most comfortable. I spent a year on a TR LV plan, doing all my workouts as prescribed on the trainer, all in erg mode. VO2 Max workouts would get “Hard” but, not really.

I am now finishing my first block of VO2 Max workouts the way @kurt.braeckel prescribes them, #9 in 3 weeks coming up tomorrow, and it’s a different world in terms of difficulty and primarily how hard I’m breathing and overall RPE finishing every interval.

Looking at metrics in TrainingPeaks and WKO, EF has been going up consistently throughout the block, and not that the Garmin VO2 Max number is “accurate” but I’ve watched it trend up over the last 3 weeks and hit the highest number I’ve ever hit. So, I don’t think this is all subjective either. I am adding more Z2 right now than I ever have in the past, but I’m not attributing 3-4 weeks of that as what’s making the difference.

YMMV, but I’d encourage everyone to give changing up the method of HOW you ride your VO2 Max workouts a try like @kurt.braeckel and @WindWarrior are mentioning. Turn off Erg for the VO2 intervals. Spin it to win it - 110-115 cadence or more. Mine hits 130+ for hard starts and drifts down to 110-115. Target max repeatable power but really get your breathing rate as high as possible and hold on, if power has to drift down throughout the interval or intervals - then fine. I’m also not holding myself religiously to the rest interval, when I’m recovered, then I GO and go hard and give that interval everything I have.

Relative newbie perspective but even though I’m still a TR subscriber, been valuable for me working with a coach here. Always something new to learn…

8 Likes