🎉🎉🎉 Introducing Plan Builder! 🎉🎉🎉

Most certainly is user error, but is there a way to make it so I can get 4 weekly workouts, for general build and fitness purposes? I can only seem to get either 3 or 5 workouts. What am I missing?

Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Glad it wasn’t user error at least. Looking forward to the continuous updates, like all other improvements you keep feeding us!

1 Like

Any reason why you’ve removed the ability to add running activities as races? It used to be you could set them as A/B/C races. Now there simply is no option.

1 Like

I know plan Builder is being developed and the changes we make in the calendar are not yet being automatically making a recalculation of our plan as they should because there are to many variables and too much to be done. It will take some time to get it all sorted out by the TR team but one thing I’ve done last night should be easily done.

I simply deleted a C race for next weekend and all my C races are in fact group rides (one question here why not having an option named group ride instead of C races) and the plan didn’t change a bit. I’ve hoped it would at least incorporate the training prescribed by the plan that week if I didn’t have selected Sunday for that C race. In fact all weeks of my plan from base up to Speciality I have Sunday either as C or B race but some of those I might have to delete and instead make a TR training that day. It’s not too much work to look at the plan overall and see what is the prescribed training for that day and put it in my calendar but once plan Builder didn’t added that training in the first place on the calendar because I’ve settled a race for that day, when deleting the race it should at this time already put the prescribed training in its place. That’s my thought.

Onother question I’ve got or more kind of a doubt is if I go and set 2 C races (group rides in fact) on Saturday and Sunday before doing plan Builder what will be the logic of plan Builder:
A) put me up on a low volume plan
B) keep me on a medium volume
C) other (if known please tell me)

That’s a concern for me. Right now I’m happy with only one group ride because it’s winter but after March the 1st I really intend to go on group rides on Saturday and Sundays and accordingly to my weekly family and work routine I’ve only got 3 week days to train and that would supposly be adequate to a LV Plan but those are 3 consecutive days Tuesday, wendsday and Thursday and TR logic is never to do 2 consecutive hard trainings to give your body the ability to recover from the previous day.

I’ve looked a lot to LV and MV plans trying to figure in my mind how can I make this perfect week, for me at least, giving the weekend for group rides and making 3 consecutive TR sessions mid week but neither of the plans gives me a good and comfortable option because choosing either one of them I’ll always have to ditch some trainings and in the LV case ditch one intense training and add then a endure ride on wendsday.

So what I’m looking for is that in the future Plan Builder gets more versatile and after inserting C races both Saturday and Sunday, going to select the several options on plan Builder I can exactly say I’ve only got those 3 consecutive days for TR and it picks me 3 trainings that give me all I need to train but without burning out from 3 consecutive hard trainings.

Hope I was clear enough.

This is the thread for feature requests they have going:

It’s general in nature but much smaller than this thread and specifically for new features users would like to see!

We agree with you here and we would like to make this possible in the future :+1:.

Plan Builder will put you on whichever Volume you choose, and will swap out workouts for C races in situations where a C race is present. So for your proposed schedule, if you selected Mid Volume you would have workouts on TuWeTh, and then the SaSu workouts would be swapped for your C Race group ride.

We avoid recommending three hard consecutive training sessions due to the potential for burn out and overtraining. It seems like the best approach will be choosing Mid-Volume and swapping the weekend workouts for group rides as outlined above :+1:.

2 Likes

How about substituting the workouts for the minus versions manually? Could do it all in one go, or just switch them down right before you do each one.

I understand that logic but is it really the most adequate way of changing a 5 day exclusively TR plan in too a 5 day plan with 3 TR consecutive days + 2 outdoor group rides on the weekend scheduled as C races?

It seems cutting the 2 trainings scheduled on the weekends from the 5 MV trainings too simple and that the remaining 3 trainings don’t consider all the range of zones I’d should be training on.

I know Saturday usually is Threshold and Sunday Tempo and Threshold is repeated on Thursdays but this reduction seems too simple to me. I’d expect some change in the trainings on the 3 mid week trainings covering maybe a wider range of zones once I won’t be doing Threshold twice a week as supposed nor I’ll do tempo the trainer.

Typically Tuesday is a VO2 Max workout, Thursday is a Threshold workout, and presumably, you’re hitting some tempo/threshold riding on your weekend rides with the group so you’re still covering the range of efforts that you should be.

Would it be better to do 4 strictly structured workouts per week (plus the easy Wed ride) rather than going out with the group twice per week? Perhaps from a scientific standpoint, however, your enjoyment on the bike affects your motivation, and your motivation affects your consistency so the best plan is the one that keeps you excited and driven to ride :+1:.

Those weekend rides are still piling on TSS, so it would be ill-advised to try to cram three high-intensity workouts back-to-back mid-week until you know you can handle it. If you complete a couple of weeks and you find the load to be manageable and perhaps a bit too easy, you can always add on stress after a few weeks, but it is much harder to course-correct after taking on more than you could handle.

Yes those group rides cover all ranges from endurance up to vo2 max for sure :slight_smile: some times more than others but there are always some hard (almost like a race) efforts. The problem is not having a real notion of the dosage done in each zone on those rides and the real TSS.

I really need a powermeter on my outdoor bike because right now the TSS is an estimative based on the perceived average hardness of each ride and we know how deceiving can our perception be.

Thanks.

1 Like

I understand perfectly this argument. For now going on the 4th week of Build I I’m keeping 4 TR trainings giving only Sunday to the group ride but when the spring comes I’ll do as you say keeping MV scheme but making those Saturday and Sunday rides outside with the guys.

Thanks.

1 Like

Registered. I’ve already done before my current plan a LV partial plan (had only 12 weeks when I got in TR before my A race) and it was hard to keep with those 3 trainings in a row from Tuesday to Thursday becauyde at the time I’ve kept doing both group rides on weekends and left Monday and Friday to have some rest. But it was doable at least with the volume prescribed in LV. Cramping the 3 hard days of MV on 3 consecutive days may be just a little too much at least for now. After 2 or 3 full TR seasons it may be better supported.

Thanks.

I went to toy around with Plan Builder today as some of my event dates have been released (and changed from my guesses), and it seems that PB is no longer seeing any of the 10+ A,B,C events I have on the calendar?

Anyone else having this problem?

Events that are already associated with an existing custom plan will not import into Plan Builder. You’ll have to delete any existing custom plan with which these events are associated in order for them to import. Deleting a custom plan won’t delete any completed rides from that plan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I deleted my upcoming training blocks as I’ve decided to do a grandfondo in two weeks, so I thought I’d give plan builder another go and it worked really well!

3 Likes

Hey Folks Ive got a question regarding my plan:

A Race = DK200 and, later on, Gravel Worlds
B Races = BWR, Crusher in the Tushar 2 RRs, Rock Cobbler
C Races = 10-15 crits

Most of the plan seems focused on short anaerobic stuff found in the more crit specific plans.

Is it worth re-building the plan (removing some of the crits) so it focuses more on long AF endurance stuff?

Your Plan Builder orients your training around a singular focus: your A races.

So as long as your “A” races are all set as gravel events or gran fondos, then your plan is already optimized around long endurance work :+1:

I just tried to move a week and it gave me a warning saying that I would lose the ability to edit the plan if I moved the week, so waiting on a release for vacation / break function.

I tried to do so by moving ( and deleting a few weeks out to create “space”) but it quickly became a mess that didn’t match my events.

There’s no ETA on this feature so I just started FD Tri MV 2 weeks early. Hopefully when it arrives, it will be capable to adjust for plans already underway.

Meanwhile, I use excel to plan my year.