๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰ Introducing AI FTP Detection ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

Been a TR user for many years and have a very stable FTP, if it does change I am pretty sensitive to it changing and can usually guess my ramp test (and 20min) results within a couple of watts.

I had a month off structured (lol, make that any) training and was feeling a bit weak. Dropped my ftp manually from 317 to 305 earlier in the week, did a couple of workouts and was thinking I may have dropped it too much as the workouts werenโ€™t really that hard. Was just about to bump it up another 5 to 310 but then I saw the new detection feature.

Deleted my manual drop to 305 and did the AI detection: it told me 309, within 1w of my estimate. So if the AI is dumbโ€ฆ Iโ€™m no smarterโ€ฆ

12 Likes

How did you force detection? I deleted my last ftp update from my ftp history, added a ramp test to my calendar but nothing happened (yes I enabled ftp detection in early access) I just get an option to load the test

Edit: got it, had to move the planned workout first

Edit2: same thing happened although i got 242 on the ramp test January 30th my new calculated ftp was only 239 in spite of doing more difficult workouts and marking them easy

If it is your next workout, go to your career page and on that page you get the option to load workout OR use ftp detection.

1 Like

Still processing message here too after 5-6 hours since first try. Have tried the different tricks suggested but no dice.

1 Like

My ftp went up 3% and my PL did revert. For instance SS went from 5.4 to 4.2.

However the workouts on my calendar did not adapt. Next week Iโ€™m supposed to start build 2 and my Tue is a ramp test. Next Thursday was and still is a 4.9 SS. So it knocked โ€œmeโ€ back to 4.2 but itโ€™s still planning for me to ride a 4.9. Even if it later suggests adaptations, I can reject and keep the current workouts

If I complete the planned workout, it will immediately bump me back to close to where I was. If I donโ€™t complete it then maybe I need to accept the adaptations.

1 Like

Same for me. 30+ min and counting from both Windows and Android app.

1 Like

Mine took a couple hours.

/shrug

When you lower your ftp from 276 to 260 a month ago cause of lack of training during winter. And the detecter now says 258 :facepunch: love when you have the same feelings for each other.
Trainerroad i love you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::grinning:

No more anxiety mondays

8 Likes

Will see how it work for me, I think I have a pretty interesting scenario for AI to deal with:

• I felt pretty great during the last workouts, looking for some FTP gains
  • Then got sick for a couple of days and skipped 2 hard workouts
  • Now on a recovery week feeling rested
  • Ramp test planned on Monday
  • I guess I can use estimation already after completing my next workout

My workouts are moved a bit because of my schedule; additionally, I do core workouts twice a week (not visible in the plan).

2 Likes

I had shifted my Ramp Test to today (two big rides at the weekend).

Like @mcneese.chad, Iโ€™d felt that my FTP had bumped up. Previously was 300W, Iโ€™d thought itโ€™d be around 315W.

Clicked the magic buttonโ€ฆ 309W. 3% bump through SSB2MV.

Now the competitive part of my brain is telling me to test so that I can beat that. :roll_eyes:

Iโ€™ve also managed to drop nearly 6kgs in that time, so onwards and upwards!

13 Likes

Slightly odd situation in that I had my FTP at 315, then tapered for two weeks for a 100mile mtb race that got cancelled at the last minute (Covid). Just rode without Garmin for the last week and a half. FTP prediction went down to 289. Did a club race tonight an Garmin came back with FTP of 311. n=1. Going to stick with the 289 and see how it rolls with a crit plan now that everything is cancelled for the foreseeable other than Crits and club races

2 Likes

Not really if you are one of the outlier that test high (same goes for outliers that test low just the other way) the process is dialing you in. Congrats on your true/ training increase :clap:

2 Likes

YES, I am sold, just tried it and AI added 5W to my FTP!!!

But seriously, this adjustment was spot on as I have recently dropped FTP from 270W to 235W when I started again after being out for couple of months. Now back at it for 3 weeks and last week it did feel like I was ready to increase the intensity up a notch.

4 Likes

What sort of time frame does the AI FTP estimator work to?

I swapped PMโ€™s 3 weeks ago to one that reads 10W lower than my PM previous.

The FTP predictor predicts me at 291 - which I was, but manually dropped it down 2-3 weeks ago to 280 to match my new PM.

Iโ€™m probably just gonna let go what would be a nice ego boost and train at my old FTP cause its been working well.

Sorted, thanks Amber. Nice work. The adjustments feel appropriate.

3 Likes

[edited this: I was experiencing the same error as several others yesterday and again this morning, but then it eventually โ€œtookโ€ and I have a shiny new FTP]

I am liking this feature. Iโ€™ve been procrastinating my re-test for a couple of weeks now, as I often do. I perform fine on ramp tests, and they are representative of the subsequent workouts that I can accomplish, but thereโ€™s always a workout that I would find more productive or fun. This is a very nice addition, and I like that it will learn and self-refine over time as it gets more data. Thanks team!

1 Like

I did a ramp test yesterday.

I bailed very early, FTP would have been over 10% down, so I ignored the new FTP but did manually adjusted my FTP from 278 to 270, which felt more realistic.

Curious to know what the estimation would have given me, I deleted yesterdays manually adjusted FTP from my FTP history and swapped todayโ€™s workout for a ramp test, then ran the estimation.

Estimated FTP has come in at 281.

Obviously going to go with the bigger number, but will be interesting to see who was right.

Canโ€™t help being reminded of this experiment. Am I following a bin into burning building?!

1 Like

Thanks. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Iโ€™m really looking forward to see the validity of this over the coming months. Great work TR team

3 Likes

Garminb gave me an FTP of 264 on January 14th I hadnโ€™t done a ramp test for a couple months and had very scattered riding over the holidays but my last ramp test was 270. The AI dropped me to 265 which seems about right

2 Likes

I had Goddard as my replacement as well but the first time I went to the calendar AT suggested an adaptation and changed it to Jane Bald