🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

All workouts contribute to the suggested adaptations but if you move a workout then those adaptations won’t apply.

That’s the simplistic view. What tends to happen is that you complete a workout and AT looks at your next workouts, possibly a week ahead, might be more, might be less, and suggests adaptations. Depending on what your setup is these are applied automatically or on a per workout basis or you reject them. If you now move those workouts the applied adaptations are still valid.

What won’t work is if you move workouts prior to any adaptations being applied - AT seems to lose track of them - when you do them then they’ll count towards future workouts.

What I think is happening (pure guesswork on my part so feel free to ignore/shoot it down) is that AT builds a matrix of your workouts (which probably why Plan Builder is currently required) and the adaptations are calculated not only on how well you did with today’s but also how long it is to the next allowing for some decay in the various energy systems.

1 Like

I saw this today in our Slack. I’d like to challenge to the team so that it still gives adaptations even if they are on different days. I don’t know the technical lift for that, so I can’t give a timeline.

I don’t have any other timelines to share.

9 Likes

Question in a week I am in and what to do. In week 1 of polarized and since I cannot move workouts around I decided to do gibbs earlier and then fletcher tomorrow.

Since I did gibbs early it is still there but will it fall off or do I just ignore it?? No adaptations yet but figure I am early

1 Like

Just ignore it. It will stay on your calendar but darken out when skipped.

So I just did my first workout with AT. I completed a sweet spot workout which was marked achievable and ended up doing all the intervals at around +2% and still felt moderate. AT marked the workout as stretch instead of achievable but I didn’t see any adaptations. Curious how often adaptations are triggered? Are they usually immediate after a workout?

Thanks and was not sure as I thought it would count it as a missed workout as it is still on the calendar.

It will count as missed in terms of the TSS (i.e. you’ll have say 500/600TSS instead of 500/500TSS) but AT will give you credit for completing it regardless of which day :+1:.

I’m not certain that 2% increase will trigger a Superpass. Based on some posts by other users a few weeks ago, I get the impression that Superpasses aren’t working quite right yet.

That said, try marking the workout as Easy and see if that helps to create adaptations or bump your level. Note that this all assumes the workout was done indoors. If it was done outdoors there are some bugs that mean it may or may not be providing credit to your Progression Levels.

1 Like

How well established are your PL’s? My adaptations have slowed right down. I wondered if it was accidentally turned off, but when I swapped my Friday and Saturday workouts and hit update I got about 11 updates right away so it was obviously happy.

It might be that your workouts are pretty close currently.

I’m sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I don’t seem to be able to dig out the answer, so here goes:

If I’m scheduled say a 3x20 tempo workout with 15minutes warmup, 15 min cool down and 5min rest in between sets and I decide to do it outdoors, but my terrain features say

20min warmup, 3x14-30min, rest 5-12 minutes between sets, 30min cool down.

what happens? Question goes for AT as well as levels.

Thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

Well, outdoor workouts currently are in a gray area of support to begin with so it may or may not provide credit to your levels. That said, part of the deal with outdoor workouts is in selecting a route that will give your the best opportunity to completing the intervals as intended. Business park loops work great if you’ve got them and longer climbs for repeats are good for those with that kind of terrain. For folks in punchy areas, it takes a little more thought and planning to find something that isn’t too pitchy.

So basically, if you’re not overly concerned with hitting the interval lengths exactly, just go out and mimic what you can. If you want the precision, consider altering your route to compensate.

2 Likes

Apologies if this has been addressed already.
I just did a ramp test and got a 1 watt increase (seriously! 260=>261) - My levels dropped (-1?) but ideally I should have been able to accept the FTP increase, by deny the update in levels. Any thoughts to offer that functionality? Of course, I will just ignore the new level recommendations and manually select workouts (based on my previous benchmarks, and knowing what the delta is for a progressive workout etc.) until the AT catches up - Thanks !

Has the decay issue not been fixed? I got a bump to SS 4.2 2 weeks ago now down to 3.3. I have not taken 2 weeks completely off but just haven’t been doing sweet spot work, but I’ve been riding outside (I know this doesn’t impact levels) and doing other work.

It seems like with current decay rates if you’re not doing every ride to try and maintain certain levels, they will never be accurate and as a result the difficulty ratings become useless.

AT should be able to recognize time off the bike from time off training specific zones and not decay levels (or at least not as quickly) for someone who is riding/training but not in that zone vs someone who simply takes a break in general

Any update on the ‘early access opt-in’ nate posted about a while ago?

1 Like
  1. By most/all accounts to date, the +2% is unlikely to have any effect on how AT assessed your workout, ie. no extra recognition for the additional couple of percent work performed.

2. The “Stretch” Difficulty Level that you’ve seen assigned to your completed workout is very likely to be the known UI bug that affects the mobile apps. Are you seeing this in the mobile app? Look instead at the web Calendar and chances are you’ll see the correct “Achievable” Difficulty Level displayed for your completed workout.

2 Likes

Another vlog from me, finished short power build HV. Interest for these vlogs isn’t super high but I’ll keep making them until the end of CX specialty just so we have a record of an entire base-build-specialty cycle. Definitely feeling ready for CX based on recent workouts

5 Likes

Did another polarized workout and all good. Marked as easy and then logged back in.

@IvyAudrain not sure if possible but in the ios beta app when I get this screen can you all make it so I can click on the workout before accepting/declining?? Currently I am searching for the workout and then going back.

Oh good question, ie you just would like more visibility to the workout details (and what the adaptation involves) before accepting?

4 Likes

Yes that would be awesome. I am doing that by clicking back and searching for the workout. IE; how long it is mainly vs what is there now and what the targets look like by sliding across the workout.

In this example ochoco was 2:30 and 120 tss while inscription is 3:00 and 120 tss. Had to look back.

I think I can do this easily with my computer but don’t always have it.

1 Like

No - I asked on that a couple of days ago: