Indoor trainer pain

Good trainer for a simple hack. You can add a wood dowel or plastic PVC pipe under the middle leg and attach with tape or zip ties (red squiggles in pic below), and then place foam or small inflated balls under the outer feet, to provide the ability to rock the whole trainer. This basic hack has been done by many people in the rocker plate group with decent success. I’ve also seen similar from Kickr owners, that have a similar trainer foot layout. Could be worth a quick test to see if you like it.

2 Likes

Add a few more pics from actual solutions in use:

2 Likes

Thanks all.

I’m going to try a combination of;

rocker plate like above with some foam/rubber flooring
Looser shoes / more airflow towards feet
Extra stretching and foam rolling targeting calves and shins
Being more aware of position - mainly sitting square

1 Like

Maybe get a second opinion? Not all fits are created equal.

Might need to try that with my “new” Kickr, and with non slip balls since my trainer slides on the garage floor some.

1 Like

The one note is that the middle leg on the Kickr is not center under the bike. So you need to offset any middle pivot a bit, but it can be done.

It sounds like your lower leg muscles are “tightening up” due to lack of stability from your glute/hip.

Try some glute activation exercises before your next ride. The clamshell and banded latetal walk are a couple good exercises to try.

1 Like

Give episode 11 of SoCalbikePT Podcast a listen…24min of very applicable info.

If you make too many changes at once, you may not be able to determine which change solved your problem.

I’m using one that was the original @mcneese.chad RockIt Launcher. I’ve swapped the foam pads for those half ball yoga balance pads, but served me well since day one!

1 Like

Awesome! Yeah, the swap to inflatable springs is a much better feel overall and nice to have fine control on pressure adjustments vs foam blocks.

1 Like

With my Kickr on the 24" setting I still have at least a foot of clearance sitting up hands off the bars and more in the standing position. I should have enough clearance even for a home brew or inside ride system.

1 Like