I Won my First Race!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my happy news.

After training and training, I decided to actually test myself against others and sign up for a mountain bike race. It was difficult for me to decide which category; I thought I was strong enough for category 1, too strong for category 3. So I figured category 2 open would be the best. I also didn’t want to come across as “That guy that never raced and signed up for category 1 and got smoked”.

I made a bit of a mess of the start, but my training kicked in and I just settled into a VO2 max effort to get to the front. I knew a singletrack climb was coming up and I wanted to be able to stretch my legs.

It worked. I dropped the rest, started catching cat 1 riders, and continued on through the race. It was very short… only 2 laps that were 5.5 miles each. I caught more and more cat 1 racers throughout (They had three laps). I took it easy on the last section behind some cat 1 guys and I didnt want to mess up their race. Looking at the finish times, I was lucky that the second place guy did not catch me but it worked out well.

Honestly, without trainerroad training this would never have been possible. I listen to all of the podcasts, follow my AT plan, and stay consistent. It works.

Thanks for reading!

WSMTB-Port Gamble Trails (racetecresults.com)

76 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations I came in last in my first race :joy:

15 Likes

:tada:

2 Likes

Oh hell yea, smoked all the kiddos. :fire: :smoking:

2 Likes

:laughing: Some quick kids there for sure. But some of the age group guys were pretty fast as well. Looking at the results a little deeper, I was 1/76 in category 2.

BuDu WSMTB #7 at Port Gamble | Race results | Webscorer

Those kids are going to be cat 1 or pro in a few years if they keep at it.

1 Like

Fantastic. Well done :+1:t2:

2 Likes

This is awesome to see, congrats on the win!!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I know it’s only Category 2 mountain biking but at 43 years old and not too much experience I’m pretty happy!

I’ll do a couple more races in cat 2 and see how they go but obviously the next goal is Cat 1 when I’m able.

3 Likes

Congrats! :tada: :tada: :tada:

1 Like

Congrats! Now stop sandbagging :slight_smile:

PS: Sorry just acting butthurt cause my cat 5 races are usually won by people who race for the first time ever and do 4w/kg for 2 hours :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll be doing a road race for the first time in a few weeks. A lot of strategy and technique and I’m sure I’ll get smoked.

Which plan did you use?

I’m on the cross country marathon mid volume plan

Great job!

1 Like

What road race are you doing?