I know TR does not report real speed but how is this possible?

I thought TR was reporting the flywheel speed to Strava so I’m confuse how someone could hold a steady flywheel speed like that

Big ring/little cog with a decent power output? That’s only 19mph.

1 Like

I’m not talking about his speed actually but more how flat it is? I never seen that on anyone else using TR that I know. It’s as his flywheel was spinning at the steady speed the whole interval. I found it strange…

Probably some smoothing going on

3 Likes

Smooting in wahoo app is probably on? Wahoo smoothing gives this kind of graphs - perfect line without any spikes.

1 Like

Agreed, that looks like some higher level of smoothing applied.

ha! That would make sense I agree

Oh, I get what you were really saying now. Yeah, interesting, especially with that spiky cadence. Smoothing is still very likely the answer I’d bet, but good find.

1 Like

Exacty

Probably just some backgroun smoothing I assume. Just thought it was weird haha

1 Like

So in that case, maybe it’s not big/little… Maybe big ring, upper half of the cassette, or even small ring, lower half… In that way, cadence variations (and it seems to be only ~3rpm on average) would be mechanically less represented in changing speed. Combine that with some software smoothing, and maybe that’s it?

Do you know what trainer they are using?

If it’s a wheel-on, maybe they also have a speed sensor (like the Wahoo one on the hub) and that could be giving “different” data.

It’s a Kickr Core actually

1 Like

OK, very interesting.

He’s using the erg speed sim function on his Kickr Core. The speed is estimated by the Wahoo trainers based on the power instead of the flywheel speed

4 Likes

Ohhhh, that would be interesting. I’ve never tested that.

Same! I’ll give it a shot!

I use the distance estimation via power which I like but turn the power smoothing off… it’s the devil.

You end up with something like this, a 1hr30 workout clocked 30miles which seems realistic.