I ❤️CARBS! (and so should you!)

Bert Kreischer definitely Loves carbs

Right, where’s my e bike? Surely that’s got enough carbs!

High carb all day.

Keto is crap.

1 Like

Anyone here tried sweet potatoes before riding? I found it to be highly effective at being able to sustain higher power, plus better recovery. Eating half of a medium/small sweet potato 30mins before a 2-3hr ride and it was dynamite. better than any other supplement i have ever tried.

1 Like

LOL, you’re 18, you could eat an old boot, and still ride all day at threshold :).

6 Likes

Tend to find old wellies are better :wink:

2 Likes

One guy did. I think his name is @Nate_Pearson. :wink:

5 Likes

Before a big day I’ll sometimes saute an onion and make a sweet potato hash with it and then throw a couple eggs on top. I don’t eat this less than two hours before a ride though

On lower intensity indoor rides I’ll eat sweet potatoes as mid-ride fuel, love them that way

1 Like

TRAITS
ENDOMORPH: 13%
MESOMORPH: 25%
ECTOMORPH: 63%

Definitely nailed it!

What app is that screen shot from? Looks good.

It’s My Fitness Pal but it’s the paid version where you can actually track macros.

Relevant annecdote that I thought would fit here. In the past year, I’ve dropped about 10-15lbs and lost upper body mass from hardly swimming/lifting, so I look visibly leaner than in past years.

I spent the last couple weeks back in my hometown with family and friends that I haven’t seen since the last holiday season. I got quite a few comments of “wow you look really thin/fit, what did you do, did you cut carbs/go keto?”

Me: “Just the opposite, I ate MORE carbs than ever! Shifting to a complex carb-based diet has been the best thing I’ve ever done.”

I kid you not, I got almost universal confused stares and awkward topic changes from everyone. It really is unfortunate how much misinformation there is around carbs and broader nutrition in the general population.

6 Likes

I was listening to the Stronger by Science Podcast and the hosts were discussing a new study about glycogen storages.

The sexy name of the study was Subcellular localization- and fibre type-dependent utilization of muscle glycogen during heavy resistance exercise in elite power and Olympic weightlifters

Results: After exercise, biochemically determined muscle glycogen decreased by 38 (31:45)%. Location-specific glycogen analyses revealed in type 1 fibres a large decrement in intermyofibrillar glycogen, but no or only minor changes in intramyofibrillar or subsarcolemmal glycogen. In type 2 fibres, large decrements in glycogen were observed in all subcellular localizations. Notably, a substantial fraction of the type 2 fibres demonstrated near-depleted levels of intramyofibrillar glycogen after the exercise session.

I am far from a scientist, but I found it fascinating, and the results could have some implications for endurance-based fueling as well. The analogy of seeing muscle glycogen as a gas tank seems quite far off, and in the podcast, one of the hosts used an analogy of air compressed can.

What I took from this is it is even more important than I thought to keep “topped” up when doing long endurance events. For the science-minded people around here, please dive in and give some feedback!

3 Likes

Totally hardly anybody has time to listen when I start explaining how much I eat :rofl:

Does anyone have a link to to study mentioned a couple times on the podcast where injesting all the way up to 10g/kg of carbs improved performance?

1 Like

A whole lot more people should take note of this :wink:

Save some money folks!

Bingo!

Dr. Louise Burke is a legend here.

I think there is an even newer more resoundingly convincing one from the last 3 years. Maybe 2 review articles recently, actually.
Another:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5407976/
and another:
BURKE 2020, Crisis of Confidence Averted, Impairment of exercise economy and performance in elite race walkers by ketogenic low carbohydrate, high fat (LCHF) diet is reproducible.pdf (2.0 MB)

Pure gold.

1 Like

They first mentioned my book a WHILE back when starting to discuss super-high carb fueling rates. I won’t link here to avoid being ridiculed for the shameless plug.

Here are some PDFs. :slight_smile:

TROMMELEN_2017 Fructose and sucrose intake increase exogenous carbohydrate oxidation during exercise.pdf (1.8 MB)

JENTJENS & JEUKENDRUP 2005 ‘1-1 ratio is good!’ high-rates-of-exogenous-carbohydrate-oxidation-from-a-mixture-of-glucose-and-fructose-ingested-during-prolonged-cycling-exercise.pdf (194.5 KB)

GONZALEZ_2017_Glucose plus fructose ingestion for post-exercise recovery-Greater than the sum of its parts.pdf (1016.7 KB)

REVIEW, Rowlands2015_Article_FructoseGlucoseCompositeCarboh.pdf (785.1 KB) :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

YES! A year ago a found out I cannot digest gluten or casein (wheat/dairy) properly, and I have never had a greater love for potatoes (also, rice) than I do now. Especially sweet potatoes.

Within a week after stopping those foods I dropped 5lb (part fat, part water weight) and have never been leaner… and carbs are the bulk of my diet since I eat plant-based as well. I do however try and stay away from sugary things unless it’s a heavier training day. On my long weekend rides I love an oat-milk latte and big gf muffin to fuel :slight_smile:

There is a LCHF researcher/doc out there (been a few years so I don’t recall his name) who did a study with athletes, incl very frequent lab testing, and his conclusion was that it took ~2 years for the body (mainly the liver) to become 100% “fat adapted”.

1 Like

Pub’d in peer reviewed journal? Will read, if so.

That 2020 Burke article is about as airtight as it gets in research. I would love for someone to carry out a longer-term study with as tight of control as Burke has, at some point in the future!