I ❤️CARBS! (and so should you!)

Thank goodness it is not just me. Would love to know a scientific / physiological reason behind this.

1 Like

I get a bit shaky and motivation tanks…strange, but it’s always been like that (cafe stops are a nightmare).

I’m very slow twitch and could be something to do with a change in metabolic activity once some CHO is thrown at type 1 fibers.

I did see that and almost commented, but I was struggling to explain and comment without it being three pages long. I might come back to this tomorrow if I can make it semi concise.

Im guessing that it’s just the body chasing the cheap/easy fuel rather than having to work a bit harder for the expensive stuff.

This is really interesting. Others stop and get a second wind / recharge, I stop and it takes me 30 minutes to get going again, I hate stopping.

Edit: but before endurance sports I was Fast twitch, but never transferred to the bike, so I assume a high number of intermediate fibres which were / are trainable.

1 Like

I always experience this too, and forces an uncomfortable 15mins or to have to ride out.

@BABEboSS I do the same as @Marko27 I hit about 80gm of oats with a banana and some sugar of coarse before my Saturday ride which is is usually around 90-100km (56 - 63miles) at a 34km/h (21m/h) pace

1 Like

What body type are you mostly? Mesomorph, Endomorph or Ectomorph ?

No-one is truly all of one type, personally I’m probably 70% Endomorph, 20% Mesomorph, 10% Ectomorph which physically resembles tree trunk muscley legs, tooth pick arms, and a barrel chest with a belly. Fat sticks to me like shit to a blanket but I’ve found that a low/no carb diet works better for me than any other diet, fasted rides are good too and I have loads of energy.

That said, I’ve never tried a high carb diet, so I’m going to give it a go… I’m already 4 stone overweight, hope this isn’t going to make me 5 stone overweigh

Here is a fun test on this

ENDOMORPH: 13%
MESOMORPH: 75%
ECTOMORPH: 13%

Def want to be endomorph in cycling.

1 Like

Can i just clarify something…

I recently bought a big pack of Dextrose/Maltodextrin 50:50, a pack of Fructose and some electrolyte powder in order to make some of my own fueling drink.

I mixed it roughly 30:15:1 into a smaller container for storage.

Is this mix suitable for 1-1:30 trainer sessions?

• someone above stated that fructose for shorter durations would not be helping?
  • should i just stick to 45:1 (malto/dextro:electrolyte) for short sessions and then 30:15:1 for sessions longer than 2hrs?

Only real goal is to not drop intensity too much during really tough workouts. For easier/recovery workouts i probably will just sip water.

So an extra question for the Carb Crew™…

I saw a video Q&A with a nutritionist from EF Pro Cycling saying that for sessions below 90 minutes, you don’t need any fuel during the workout at all.

And while Asker J doesn’t go that far, his blog suggests that for 1-2 hours, 30g carbs / hour is sufficient.

So, is there an argument against this? That says we not only CAN have 60g/hour during 1-2 hour workouts, but SHOULD? Or is this only really necessary for early morning sessions, low on glycogen?

If your muscle glycogen is fully topped up, you should be able to make it through 90min workout, even a 60min VO2max workout. The main thing exogenous carbs might do during that timeframe is reduce perceived effort. So I guess that’s a vote for the 60/hr, if it helps you complete the workout and/or complete it at a higher quality, then go for it. You can always cut those extra calories in your off-bike diet.

3 Likes

That makes sense.

They do seem to say things like “You don’t need it” or “30g/hour is sufficient”, rather than “you shouldn’t”. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has a reason why it would be a bad idea, i.e. there was an active downside to fuelling a shorter session. Like it trains your brain to think it needs sugar to work? Something like that.

Yeah, regardless of whether fuelling is mostly before, during, or a mix, my calorie intake always matches my calorie output for the session so hopefully shouldn’t be a problem.

Maybe something to do with training your actual glycogen stores, if you’re always taking in exogenous carbs your body might have a tendency to shrink that storage capacity since it’s never being used. Then you have to rely more on that ingestable limit of ~90g/hr.

If you’re never doing races/rides more than 2 hours long it’s probably fine to do whatever you want.

I started this thread and now it sounds like I’m walking back on my shouty proclamation. I’m not; I still say slamming back a lot of carbs during a ride makes things much easier. Just a matter if it matches your goal.

1 Like

That shows true strength :muscle:. The ability to get to a better answer even if it’s different than your first answer. And the real reason you are going back and forth is because the answer is different for each scenario. And eventually a new study will come out that teaches us more and we’ll have to bend the answers again. Progress.

1 Like

Welp…
Endomorph: 50%
Mesomorph: 25%
Ectomorph: 25%

1 Like

As I understand it the downside is for longer events when 60 or even 90 grams an hour won’t be sufficient and you end up in a significant deficit. In these cases the more efficient you are without fuel the better. That’s not to say you shouldn’t fuel for these longer events, quite the contrary, but that you will rely on both systems the longer you ride

The way I, and I think a lot of people, deal with this is by fueling heavily on harder rides and fueling minimally, or not at all, on easier rides.

Today for instance I did 3.5 hours outside at an endurance pace - fasted for the first 90 minutes, then ate about 500 calories over the remaining 2 hours. Hard to get up and get going on an empty stomach, but I find it balances out the heavy fueling I do for harder rides

Agree with this - but I’m thinking more about fuelling for a short but intense workout, e.g a 1-hour vo2 session.

I seem to be mostly ectomorph never had it easy in the gym putting muscle on is almost impossible. Got the long body of the mesomorph

That was what I was getting at though - I think the potential downside of the fueling you are describing is you don’t cultivate that other system. Thus - as long as you mix in the low carb training on easier days you would be mitigating that downside.

All from my (relatively) uninformed position, but that’s how I think of it

1 Like