I bought a bike today... and haven't told my spouse

How should I tell her the good news? Wrong answers only.

8 Likes

Be out riding it instead of fulfilling some obligation. Then explain that you couldn’t clean the house / fix the deck / etc because you were out riding your new bike.

Edit: I feel like this requires the disclaimer that I’m single. Not something I expected to be posting here.

31 Likes

You won it on a social media contest, congratulations!
Unless you have joint bank accounts, then I would say it was a mega sale. Warehouses are overstocked with inventory. So you got this new bike dirt cheap.

10 Likes

Baseline, everything is always 50% off the top with a partner. A great deal! It would’ve been foolish to pass it up!

The thing that works for me is to frequently buy and sell parts and occasionally bikes on eBay or Marketplace. Once your partner’s used to a certain amount of throughput, it’s easier for random purchases to slip through, as it’s all too annoying to pay any attention to.

12 Likes

What is her opinion on you riding doing what you do on the bike? Is she supportive or does she hate the idea? Will it affect your families bottomline i.e. increase debts , mortgage childrens college…affect a family purchase that she was counting on… those my friend are question that must be answered.

Live look at @Jolyzara telling Mrs. Jolyzara the news…

27 Likes

I did the same. I just posted a pic on a Strava activity with “NBD!”. We’ll see how it goes. . :rofl:

11 Likes

Legendary status!

(Unless she doesn’t follow you on strava :rofl:)

1 Like

Well, she’s not that active on Strava. She does have a fondo in 2 weeks and has been talking about getting in some training rides so… :upside_down_face:

She’ll be like “If your ride is No Big Deal, why do you have to tell everyone?”

8 Likes

The bike will make you faster :wink:

1 Like

'Honey, you’re not gonna believe this! My long lost relation is royalty in some third-world country and gave me this bike in exchange for me cashing his cashier’s check and forwarding the funds to him!"

7 Likes

One of the local riders almost always buys roughly the same color bike so his wife (who doesn’t know anything about bikes) doesn’t realize he got a new bike.

15 Likes

Hopefully you made some accomodation arrangements for the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Before we can give you advice, we’ll need to see a pic of the bike so we can tell you what’s wrong with it, and why you should have gotten a different brand/model/color/wheelset, etc.

I mean, it’s like you’ve never Internet’d before.

8 Likes

This is the energy I am here for!

Proper interneting would have been asking for pics of the wife. :rofl:

13 Likes

Tell her you discussed it a month ago and she must have forgotten the conversation.

4 Likes

I am so happy my GF is into a more expensive hobby. She just laughs about new bikes :smiley:

Also my bikes get to have emotions: „Won‘t the other bike get jealous now?“

8 Likes

I need to know what that hobby is now

2 Likes

Playing expensive musical instruments.

3 Likes