Hydration, Sweat and Cramping with Precision Hydration's Andy Blow – Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast 221

Hi @fatlenny and @Tim_P,

Thanks for your messages and apologies for the delay in getting back to you - the nature of the forum means I can only respond to three questions in a row before I have to wait for someone else to reply and then I can write another reply, so I thought it was best to answer your questions in the same message as they’re both based around preloading…

@Tim_P Our recommendation is to ‘preload’ with a strong electrolyte drink (it needs to be around 1500mg of sodium per litre to be an effective dose, while salting your food is a good idea - although within reason as you don’t want everything to taste like the sea!)

Our recommendation is to use:

• 1 x PH1500 with ~500ml of water the night before any big race or event
  • And then take 1 x PH1500 with ~500ml of water on the morning of the race/event, aiming to start the drink around 90 minutes before the start of the event and then finish the drink about 45 minutes before the start time.

Our blog on How to start hydrated and why that’s so important gives a bit more insight into the importance of starting hydrated and an effective preload, but feel free to send over any questions you might have on top of this.

@fatlenny I’d recommend trying the above and let us know how you get on in your upcoming races. We’d definitely be able to help you refine your strategy further if you felt like you needed it, so don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks!
Chris

1 Like