How useful do you find the Di2 wireless unit? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

I have a GRX Di2 bike with a wireless unit, but my new Ultegra Di2 bike doesn’t have one and I’m going back and forth about whether to upgrade. Seeing battery life and changing Garmin screens is cool but I’m not sure if I’m missing out on some must have features. It’s $125 by the time you buy the unit and another wire.

I’m not too bothered about seeing what gear I am in or trying to use the phone app (which was a pain in my experience). When it comes to bike stuff I’m virtually always in analysis paralysis mode so any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!!

1 Like

I love being able to see what gear I’m in on my Garmin and to control pages. It’s not a must have, but was totally worth the 80€ I spent on it.

8 Likes

For me the ability to switch computer screens is a big advantage so I def enjoy mine, though it’s slower to respond than if I just press buttons on the unit itself. Being able to change shift speed and how many shifts are done when holding down the button is cool too. I’d say it’s not the worst investment you could make but definitely not a “must have”

6 Likes

I love mine. I do a lot of intervals not driven by a preprogramed workout and I love having one of the shifter buttons programmed to start/stop the lap timer. That alone is worth $125 to me. I also change screens a fair amount and I like doing that from the shifter too.

Also, the wireless hook up gives you access to Di2 settings from the phone app which is kind of nice now and then. It also adds gear data in with your other ride data so it shows up in WKO which may from time to time be interesting.

1 Like

It’s meh for me. I usually only look at four data fields when riding. I did buy it I think to keep track of syncro shift since it was always surprising me when it would shift up front, but I find I never bother to switch to the gearing screen

The ability to control my Garmin, and to an extent, my lights, is worth it to me. The phone app is garbage IMO. I use the gearing indicator a lot when riding in the dark. I also like the audible beep when entering the smallest or biggest gear.

2 Likes

Worth it to me to be able to change screens on my Bolt and easily check the battery of the system

But…a luxury item to be sure

4 Likes

I’d get it for anyone of the following reasons alone. Being able to see the gear combo I’m in on my Garmin or the ability to move between pages on the Garmin or being able to control my lights and see the battery levels or being able to go in and make adjustments with E-tube using my phone instead of hauling the laptop out to the garage. If mine died I’d replace it immediately without a second thought.

3 Likes

Yes. Simply for the “Time to charge your Di2, fool” message that pops up every few months alone.

The D-Fly head unit control, gear status, gear data recording, and being able to program/update the system over BLE is handy… but it’s that reminder to charge your battery that is the winner.

9 Likes

This. Just the peace of mind from knowing the charge on my battery was worth every dollar.

4 Likes

Well, I guess I don’t need any more convincing! Thanks all!!!

2 Likes

Frankly, I’m baffled why Shimano has the guts in 2021 to charge extra for this. I think I got my first Bluetooth device in 2005ish, and this is just a must. For example, on my Di2 loaner, I was unable to try the semi-automatic shifting modes. Pressing the button on the junction box didn’t work for some reason. SRAM got it right by just including Bluetooth connectivity by default.

4 Likes

I have it on both my Di2 bikes, worth it to me as it keeps me from having to use any of the Garmin buttons while I’m riding and I have the battery status on the first data screen so I see the charge level before I go ride.

The Shimano app isn’t great, but I’ve always gotten it to work, though it’s not anywhere near as easy or intuitive as I’d like it to be.

1 Like

I think it was a bit of an add-on to the existing wired system. From the leaked manuals, it looks like the new DuraAce di2 will have this built in.

1 Like

For me, it’s crucial:

• I’m still using a Garmin Edge 820, and the touchscreen is absolute crap, so being able to change screens with the Di2 buttons is a lifesaver
  • No PC in the house - only Macs - so I need away to configure the Di2 / update firmware
2 Likes

It better be, first, because it’s 2021 and second, because of the price. Bluetooth is in every phone and computer.

1 Like

Is there any way to change when that pops up? It seems like it’s always too late by the time it comes up It’s only about 30 miles from front derailleur death

Not that I know of. Best put the battery data field on one of your screens. (unless you have a Wahoo unit. In which case put in a support ticket requesting they have Di2 battery status as a field option… I’ve asked. A lot. They need to hear it from others!)

6 Likes

Yep, I just put the battery field on the first page and any time I hit 30% I plug it in.

1 Like

It’s not a must have, but now that I’ve been riding with it for about a year, I do miss it when riding my bike that only has mechanical. It is a convenience that I’ll chose if it is available.

1 Like