How TrainerRoad helped me save my son

When I first started my cycling journey, I weighed 210 pounds. I’m 5’6", so that’s pretty big for a guy my height. Today, I weigh around 138.

But that’s just the start of the story I wanted to share, because what the bicycle and TrainerRoad have done for me is irreplaceable.

In December of 2014, my youngest son—then almost three years old—was diagnosed with end stage renal disease. His kidneys completely stopped working before his third birthday and he had to go on dialysis.

He would need a new kidney as soon as he was big enough, which took a lot of time. While we worked on helping him grow (kidneys control more than you realize—“kidney kids” have a very difficult time growing), I focused on getting in better shape.

By the end of 2016, we knew he would be big enough for transplant at some point in 2017. I weighed in around 165 or so on December 31, 2016 but wanted to be in the best shape of my life to be a potential donor.

So starting on January 1st, 2017, I really focused on my fitness. Eating better, cutting out bad foods, and pushing myself on the bike with TrainerRoad. During that time, I also went through all the required donor compatibility testing, and was approved for donation in September of 2017. I was a perfect match for him.

I walked into the hospital on October 9th, 2017 at 136 pounds and in the best shape of my life to give my then-five year old son a kidney. Attached below is a picture of the two of us the day after transplant. We’re almost a year post-transplant now and he’s doing great!

I owe a huge part of this to TrainerRoad, because there’s no way I would’ve been in the shape I was without it. So thanks to the TR crew. Thanks for helping me become my best self, thanks for helping me shed the weight. Thanks for pushing me and inspiring me.

Thanks for helping me help my son.

186 Likes

Love your story, such an inspiration and so glad your son is doing great!

2 Likes

That’s an awesome story! Thanks for sharing summerson :smile:

4 Likes

Incredible story and truly inspirational! @summerson

3 Likes

So incredible!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

4 Likes

Incredible story. thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I heard your story on the Podcast, and was wow’d then. And I’m just as impressed reading it. To borrow from elsewhere - kudos to you!

2 Likes

Wow, what an amazing story! Big Kudos to you!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Inspirational.
All the best for you and your family :wink:

1 Like

beautiful

1 Like

Incredible story! Very inspirational!
Great to hear your son is doing well after the transplant!

1 Like

No words. God bless both of you :pray:

1 Like

This is awesome! Happy for you!

1 Like

Props to that man! Very respectable the way you approached the situation to maximise the opportunity to save your son!! Love it

1 Like

Awesome story, touching! So glad for you your son!

1 Like

don’tcrydon’tcrydon’tcry

I’m sure there’s a ‘World’s #1 Dad’ coffee cup in your future.

3 Likes

Great for your son AND for your health also!!! I am living with only one kidney since age 11 (now 40) without any issues (I do not drink alcohol except for rare social events) and had so far zero issues (just have to pee more than others), just to assure you and your son…

2 Likes

Man! I had no idea that peeing more often was common with only one kidney! That’s the main difference I’ve noticed too!

1 Like

I was not really aware of that, it was mentioned once by a doctor after a routine urine check (that you should do once in a while).
Once I started longer fast group rides I really understood that other have just more capacity to hold their waters. I even had to stop at a 1,5 hour race just to pee and lost a minute!
Nothing to worry about health wise though…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story! So inspiring! The world needs more men that are willing to fight and be a champion for their children.

2 Likes