How to perform cadence spin-ups on a dumb trainer

Equip: Asioma Uno power meter plus a fluid trainer. When I attempt to do a spin-up which should begin at ‘higher’ than normal cadence, I quickly exceed the maximum or non-bounce rpm when I shift to the next lower power step. Without going to a cassette with a tighter gear range, “how should I modify this interval to achieve the desired results?”

On a dumb trainer, shift! If your power is too high, shift more.

Not sure what you mean with “non-bounce rpm”. One of the points about the spinups is to learn to ride at higher cadence. Some people can do 200 rpm…

1 Like

Exactly shift, i did Ericsson yesterday (which has spinups).
Cadance is a personal thing high for me mighrt be low cadance for you.
But here’s how i aproach it:
I started out 4min at a cadance of 85RPM at my Sweetspot 3min interval i shifted back on gear at the rear which gave me about 95rpm (sweetspot target was a bit lower too) next min i shifted back another gear which resulted in a cadance of about 107rpm.
It’s a bit of a pain on a fluid trainer (i’m using an Elite qubo Fluid Power) because when the trainer warms up the power at the same rpm fades and small variances in cadance give quite a big change in needed power.
But all and all it’s do-able.

1 Like

Splash,
Thanks for the quick response. The workout text warns not to spin beyond where your sit bones stay planted and you begin to bounce. My cassette is an 11-32 so the jumps are wider and quickly take me beyond rpm limit to hit the suggested power.

You could try changing (reducing) resistance to sit further on the cassette to start with. Most wide-range cassettes have closer ratios on the smaller cogs.

2 Likes

Keep doing it, you’ll get smoother and can sustain a higher cadence without bouncing.

Also agree with the other suggestions - pick a lower resistance and high gear to start with, go into the small ring, focus on cadence over power.

2 Likes

That power fade was the first thing I had to get comfortable with also. As long as I maintain my cadence, I let the power go where it goes. I guess the main take away is the spinup interval is about ‘cadence’ and that is the metric that should get the most focus when forced to choose.

2 Likes

The instructions for Ericsson, the classical TR spin-up workout, are quite clear about that: choose between power or cadence. If you can do both, fine, but decide on your priority.

I’m used to the Tacx workouts from long ago, which included a different type of spin-up: start at 80 rpm, light load, and increase by 5 rpm every 30 seconds, all the way to 115 or 120 rpm. This was done in resistance mode, so technically at an ever-increasing power, but the load was set low enough not to make it a problem. Some workouts would then keep you at 115-120 rpm and increase the load in 2-minutes increments. Bad.

1 Like