How much have you spent on bikes in the past 3 years?

Sure… I agree completely…
Will see what happens now once the world re-opens in the next 8 to 12 months…
I dont think this trend can continue… but who knows…

1 Like

One trainer, one set of Assiomas. The rest is noise (tires, tubes, maybe a chain). So really not that much. I keep bikes for decades and wrench by myself, so that helps a lot.

I guess there are not so many dentists who post here (>$25k is empty).

2 Likes

He’s not a dentist but I don’t think @Aeroiseverything had taken it yet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

My last three years are not very representative of typical. After my divorce I bought myself a nice mountain bike that I wanted. I then bought a nice road bike because it was an insanely deal (pre pandemic) and my bike at the time was sold for barely less than I had in it. I bought a gravel bike kinda on a whim (I shouldn’t have). And then I bought an XC bike to replace the stolen XC bike.

I have no intention on buying another bike for a long time. And I hadn’t bought anything nice in YEARS before that period. So I spent a lot on bikes JUST in that 3 year time frame.

1 Like

I went from one fairly standard bike to buying a gravel bike and a nice road bike in a year. I hope thats where it ends!

Now I have… I’am ashamed of myself.

3 Likes

Like I am stupid enough to document that number on a board that Mrs. P13 knows I frequent…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I made sure the poll results were anonymous before I took part :pray:

2 Likes

I look at bike spending as offsetting mental health spending.

2 Likes

Because of how low it is compared to other?

I kid i kid…

1 Like

you forgot to add this to the survey:

• I don’t know, embarrassed to add it up after buying a $100 pool noodle (tire insert) from Italy, but it was way too much and yet somehow it flew under the radar of my wife/spouse/SO until I bought a new bike this year

That would have received my vote!

4 Likes

I like to reward myself on a monthly basis at a rate of $0.5 / km.

2 Likes

I bought a nice road bike then bought a mountain bike then bought a gravel bike. Did some updates on the road bike and got a smart trainer. :cold_sweat:

Sold the grave bike because I am not sold on them. (The bike that doesn’t do anything well.)

I’m already thinking about a new road bike. But wow bikes are expensive and very hard to come by. To make matters worse a 54cm is like a unicorn bike right now…

I usually just buy what I need - wheels, tires, clothing, parts, etc. I don’t ask the misses.

I also don’t buy a new SL7 every year. :slight_smile: I’d probably run it by her if I wanted to spend $5K on a frame or $8K on a bike.

I just talked myself out of a new SL6 frame - I thought about it too long and then it was gone. Oh well.

1 Like

Appart from buying my dreambike from Orbea, I haven’t spent much. Aiming for a good set of carbon wheels this year, wich my SO wholeheartedly supports. But probably going to wait a little while with the wheels since we just bought an appartment.

I’ve only been cycling for 3 years, so this is really, how much I’ve spent in my entire history of cycling. I also realize that I’ve spent way more than I probably should have but, no use for money when I die right? But also, a lot of my money spent has been on kit and such, shoes, helmets, and various related items like tools and stands. I also include my pain cave items like my trainer, fans, TV.

First bike. Trek Checkpoint ALR. Bought in May 2018 and was the gateway drug to my cycling addiction. ~$1,800

Trek Domane SL. First true road bike and first carbon bike. ~$2,500

Canyon Neuron AL. Because I want to ride off-road as well. $2,200

Trek Boone. CX got me into racing. $3,000

S-Works Tarmac SL6. Wanted to race on the road, too. ~$5,000
IMG_3414 copy

Chinese open mold. Turned out to be a lemon so it lives on the trainer currently. TanTan X19. $600 (Frameset)

Specialized Tarmac SL7. My current road build. ~$4,500

The old pain cave. Have since moved and yet to set everything up. Good thing the weather has been nice. And yes, the bar tape is a mash up of old leftovers. Probably $2,000 with the trainer (Kickr), TV, fans, stand. The bike is basically just old parts laying around. Doesn’t even shift currently.

The Domane and the Tarmac SL6 have been sold to fund my current rides. If nothing else, this post made me realize how much I’ve spent. I’m just glad my wife doesn’t know about this forum. I kid, she’s super awesome about my love for cycling, and she evens it out with PotteryBarn and clothes.

2 Likes

Don’t judge me. It helps me relax, so that I can study better.

Partial /s

That’s funny. I like my gravel bike so much that I am considering selling my hardtail and road bike. I see it as my bike that does everything well. I’m not a racer though.

1 Like

This is a question that shouldn’t be asked!

I’m not either. I don’t know maybe it wasn’t the right bike for me. It was a Cervelo Aspero. I always wanted a Topstone but was talked into the Aspero by the shop I used to work at.

1 Like