How many BPM have you raised your max heart rate since structured training?

I noticed yesterday that my max BPM of 182 as of last January’s FTP test has since become 186. Some research tells me limited increases in max BPM are expected, I am just curious where others have found their plateau.

1 Like

Mine’s gone down approximately 15 BPM for “max” and around 10 BPM for LTHR since I first started training.

3 Likes

Interesting. Over how many years would this be?

I wouldn’t expect a lot as far as increasing HR, it’s more that the Hr for a given power will decrease (efficiency factor) As you get fitter

3 Likes

Maybe 15. Power numbers are as good to better than ever. The performance factor that is very telling is the time and amount of power I can sustain above LTHR/FTP. While “one time metric power” numbers are good I bump up against that lower max HR way too easy now. Ie…going into the red has become easier as I age.

2 Likes

I have tracked and trained with heartrate since 2012 and maintained a relative similar fitness level the entire time (generally fit meaning CAT 3/4 racer and a triathlete). My Max HR is only ever typically reached in a true all out sprint in a race. I never max out in training. and over those past 8 years, the trend of what I see yearly has gone down incrementally with age, from 32 to 40yrs old. Its very individual so the actual number doesn’t mater. I assume it is universal that MAX would trend down as we age.

Another thought is just because you see a Max of 182, doesn’t mean that was your max that day. building your fitness and strength up to your next test allowed you to push harder and longer to drive up your HR and tolerate getting to or closer to your max.

I imagine you are just getting more fit to see it increase! And that’s bad ass! keep after it!

1 Like

Since beginning structured training in April I’ve noticed my HR has been much lower for a given effort and I haven’t seen it spike quite as high as it has in the past even during my latest ramp test. I suspect this might change once I’ve done a bit of VO2max work, only time will tell.

1. No change in my max heart rate. I think I’ve already found and hit my physiological limit.
1 Like

Not at all, I can’t hit max HR on trainer. I usually get my HR max value during intense running workouts and there I can see a slow decline since I began structured aging.

4 Likes

Could also be that you’re actually able to get up to max now, whereas when beginning training you couldn’t push yourself as hard.

Physiologically, max shouldn’t change through training.

2 Likes

My lowest resting heart rate while asleep has decreased from the mid 50s to the low 40s since I’ve gotten fitter.

Max HR has not changed, but overall, HR for any given effort has decreased.

2 Likes

Mine has decreased. Four years ago I could hit 181 in an all-out sprint at the end of a crit. Last year the highest it ever got was 178.

With my 43rd birthday fast approaching, I guess this is a trend that will continue :confused:

2 Likes

No change for me.

1 Like

Max heart rate does not determine your fitness level. Being able to hold your max heart rate for longer and longer sessions is what’s key.
I guess that’s what you have observed. Earlier in your training you were likely not able to dig that deep nor to hold that kind of effort for longer periods.

2 Likes

I was hitting 191 for the past 2 years during the final part of the ramp test. Then I got up to 194 in a recent ramp test.

1 Like

I reach MaxHR only during ramp tests. Over last 6 months have done 4 tests: 192 -> 194 -> 196 -> 200. Have to admit, it’s tiny mental boost during test – trying not to give up until HR has reached at least previous peak.

On other hand, resting HR has remained same, low 50ties.

45yo male.

2 Likes

10 beats, dunno if physiologically has changed maybe bigger muscles? As similiar to my running.
Now what I thought used to be my max HR I can hold for around 10minutes

1 Like

Max HR is what it is. Does not increase with training, but reduces with age. As far as I know.

2 Likes

For me, it has gone DOWN about 10 beats after a year of structured training…

For example, doing interval with 105-110% FTP blocks no longer is 170-175 for me but around 160-164.

1 Like

My HR is definitely lower for the same efforts a year ago as well, just has a new max during intense efforts. Judging by other comments one explanation may be I’m simply able to hold onto my V02max efforts slightly longer and thus finding a new max BPM.