How Long do you train in the TT Position?

In the past I’ve built power and dropped to the TT position in increasing duration’s over winter. This year has be different :roll_eyes: and I’ve done most of my training over summer and I’ve not been comfortable dropping as much. I’m leaning to dropping my FTP by enough which will let me comfortably do more in the position.

How Long do you train in the TT Position?

I personally don’t drop my FTP at all and start every interval that isn’t super high on the TT bars. Leaving the bars is a bail out for when things get too hard, but over time the time to bail becomes longer and longer, particularly at FTP to +10% or so.

In the off season, like now, I have a lower threshold for bailing. By spring it is everything but hard sprints.

I guess I could start off with a lower FTP and move towards it but it just happens anyway that the two positions become very close at even up to VO2 max.

1 Like

I see no difference in FTP whichever bike I am on. I have been on the TT bike indoors for the last 5 months or so and an in TT position for about 80% of my indoor training which is equal to 80% of my overall riding.

2 Likes

When I added our club hill climb in October TR has recalculated my plan and scheduled me a ramp test for tomorrow. I’ll give that ago in the TT position and see how it goes. A couple of years ago I got more power out in that position but I’m not so sure now :neutral_face:

Take an FTP test in the TT position then you will know.

If i want to do well at TT I do most intervals that are 105% and below in the TT position (And maybe a couple of Vo2 Max intervals there too).
Even given that the diffrence between my road bike Power and TT bike power is 5%-8%, but this will be diffrent depending on how aggressive your TT position is.

2 Likes

I agree. When I gradually move down to it over winter and do a full 20 min test in the position it’s been slightly higher and more sustainable power but I suspect it will be down just now, hey ho :+1:

Edit I was right my FTP is down 30w on my last test in mid July. I’ve also decided I’m ditching ERG and the Ramp Test. ERG put the resistance up at the start of a warm up before I even have a chance to pedal, aggravating my knee slightly. With no decent warm up to the ramp test I cant get in the zone and motivated, I’m only ever pushing to 91% Max HR, whereas on a 20min test I’m pushing to 96% and got 42w higher. The final ERG spiral of death further hurts my knee :neutral_face:

I struggle in the TT postion. Outside of spending more time in it and getting used to it, are there some stretches to be focusing on?

Get a TT specific bike fit? It helped me. I just did a 100m TT and was in the TT tuck all the way except for roundabouts. My position is comfy, and I guess this should be your aim.
My TT position is as, if not more comfortable than my road position, because as I relax onto the bars, I can relax my shoulders, arms and back.
My hip flexors and hamstrings sometimes need a bit of a stretch, so these two areas might help.

1 Like