How Fancy Do you Get with Training Kit?

A most of the time. I have a set of older bibs and jerseys I wear for most indoor sessions, though the jersey might come off halfway through.

C for ramps tests and hard TR workouts to help get me in the right frame of mind sometimes.

1 Like

Generally just a base layer top & whatever bibs are clean. If it’s a particularly long workout, I’ll try to grab one of my newer pairs of bibshorts with a bit less wear in the chamois.

1 Like

Socks and bibs only, but the bibs and socks still have to match…even if no one can see them but me.

1 Like

It’s taken me years to find something that’s reliably and consistently comfortable, plus I’m homely anyway, so I just wear the same thing like 90% of the time. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think there should be another option: I wear black socks with black shoes and all but one pair of bib shorts are (mostly) black. I never wear jerseys or base layers, the only thing that adorns my hairy chest is a heart rate strap.

However, I tried going the cheap-new route with bibshorts and it has been a disaster for my derriere. I need to get one or two pairs of not-too-cheap, yet not-too-expensive bib shorts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I’m in the “C” camp

Indoor trainer rides: Old bibs that have been rotated out from previous “outside” duty (rips, fades, general wear), with whatever socks.

Outdoor long and/or hard effort rides: Best bibs, best jerseys, somewhat matching socks

Outdoor “party pace” rides: Liner bibs, overshorts, t-shirt, neutral socks

3 Likes

C when I know it’s going to be a tough workout, otherwise A.

2 Likes

Revisiting this thread…

I use the UA sleeveless tops as a vain attempt to control and direct the sweat. It’s sometimes that bad. Seriously… :ocean: :ocean: :ocean:

It’s not fancy, it’s productive. Or trying hard to be. ‘Containment’.

1 Like

I use towels at the bottom.
Is your sweat also as corrosive as mine? I have killed one Shimano mechanical shifter and two SRAM eTap shifters. Both could, fortunately, be repaired. That is despite me placing towels on my shifters.

1 Like

This fancy

2 Likes

I used towels after swamping a mat. I didn’t realize it at the time but the sweat was actually running down the grout lines and pooling under the mat. Gross doesn’t even come close.

And the worst thing I’ve seen is the amount of sweat that has entered the R8000 crank drive side. I keep hoping it doesn’t fail because it has Stages Dual installed on it. I was incessantly warned about the headset on my bike by the LBS. and took it all apart to find out that it was totally fine. But sweat was on all of the tubes, and especially around the bottom bracket, but the crank bearings were also fine. (I did destroy two sets of Speedplay cleats, and one pedal set. Who knew that a simple o-ring wasn’t enough to keep it out. The needle bearings were completely seized and a rusted mess. Maybe they should be easier to lube? None of my SPD-SL pedals have failed to drastically, yet)

Fancy kit: I have a pink flamingo kit, and caught some grief for wearing it. I like it… It’s all such nonsense at times. (I’ve never worn bibs inside out, so lighten up folks :smile: :smile: :smile:)

2 Likes

Trainer kit is old bibs with holes in places you would not really want to wear in public. Straps that have lost the ability to hold anything up. Mismatched socks that have no mates. But I do wear good shoes with good inserts.

1 Like

Indoors I only wear padded shorts / bib shorts and trainer socks, and I dont put the straps over my shoulders. So there is nothing to match with :smile:

Most of my stuff is hand-me-downs that were too small for everyone else, so I’m lucky if I even match on race day.

Weirdly enough there’s a psychological element to that too. A lot of people assume I’m newer and I kind of like taking them by surprise. :woman_shrugging: Also prone to a hefty dose of perfectionism/anxiety, so ‘underselling’ It a bit in my head can tone me down a bit lol.

1 Like

Indoors I mostly wear giro bib liner shorts, which are basically padded underwear. They sell for $40 I think, so very affordable compared to most bibs and do the job inside. Sometimes I wear a jersey when warming up. It gets pretty hot down here in my garage in Florida, so the jersey is usually worn during the cooler months.

1 Like

I support my team (LBS) and wear their jersey as often as possible.

1 Like

Yes, a towel on the shifters, and a headband like a 70s tennis star. As many fans as possible.

2 Likes