How do you find time to eat on hard rides?

I’m glad it’s working well for you.

I know that the glucose/dextrose ratio isn’t optimal, but it’s the most cost effective way of fueling myself. I simply cannot afford to spend the sort of money required to do that, so I have to take some short cuts.

That being said, I do typically put out at least the same power towards the end of a longer ride, and sometimes higher power, so it’s not carbohydrate availability that holds me back.

And being in the ‘statistically insignificant’ part of the height/weight spectrum for cyclists, my carb needs are higher than 99.999% of amateur cyclists and on a par with the larger pros.

If its a challenging group ride I tend to rehydrate and eat something 1-2h before it and have a carb drink for on the ride. I might take a banana too.

On the trainer its not really a problem as theres lots of recovery periods for a banana and its easier to drink as and when. It can be a good motivator to get through a block to the rest period, knowing I can treat my self to a bite out of the banana :banana:

I might have to try these for maple syrup. I have a soft hyrapak flask for maple syrup that works okay but it’s a little weird getting the syrup out as there is no rigidity to the flask

It was flavored. Indeed, it was absolutely disgusting, an abomination.

How long are the VO2 sessions on the trainer? If they’re 90 minutes or m under, don’t worry about eating.

That’s why, I tried ginger flavored maple syrup, absolutely terrible.