How do I raise my FTP?

What is the most effective way to raise an FTP…pulling it up from the top with a lot of V02 work or pushing it up from the bottom with a lot of zone 3 and sweet spot intervals?..or a mixture of both?

The most effective way is to consistently follow a structured training plan.

That means workouts are patterned in a particular way so that you alternate work with rest. Different types of workouts will address different energy systems. Doing only VO2max workouts is not good since you are only doing one kind of workout, and a type that is particularly fatiguing, both, mentally and physically.

2 Likes

impossible to answer that without knowing at least some information about you, your training history, current level etc…“How long is a piece of string…?”

Strange question bearing in mind your first post from 2016. But in the spirit of this community, test, follow a plan and test again. Use it to measure your progression on a training plan rather than a number that simply proves you are better than your riding mates.

@BaronGreenback yeah maybe it’s my wording that makes it a strange question. Basically my question is can you raise you FTP by doing mainly sub threshold work?
I ask because I stated by doing a structured plan and it led to great results but now that the weather is nicer I have ridden outside a lot and all of my indoor work has been sweet spot intervals. Will I see any improvement in my FTP from that?

I had 50+ W improvement from only threshold and then no improvement from only threshold. So correct answer is “it depends”. If you see improvements - do till you do not see any improvements. Then rip vo2 max, and then do threshold/sst, then rip vo2 max and then do threshold/sst…you should see the pattern.

2 Likes

Ah, I see your point. I see the TR FTP measure as more of a way of putting a marker in the sand for my training plan rather i.e. there’s a bit of everything in there. Depends on your outdoor rides. I find it very difficult to stay in endurance zone because I live in an area with lots of short sharp hills (often I will use my mtb as it has a dinner plate on the back and I can spin up anything without going into the red) so that naturally serves as some variety.