How did you start competing? Anyone in italy with suggestion?

Hi,
How did you start competing? i mean from the beaurocratic point of view.
Are you part of a club?
I’m living in Italy. Here, it looks like you must be part of club to take part to a race.
Are you registered to the UCI?
Anyone started at 27 y.o.?
Thank you

For amateur racing in Italy you need to have membership of one of the many institutions (ACSI, FCI, etc.)

You can enter Granfondos (the most competitive kind of racing here) without a membership and a team by paying a daily membership fee (around 10€)

A team/club helps because they do the whole membership thing for you. With FCI membership you should be able to partecipate in any kind of race.

You can kind of build a calendar by combining these two website
http://www.ilciclismoamatori.it/?page_id=53 for crits and https://www.dalzero.it/ for granfondos.

This is about amateur, for uci racing you need to find a contract on a continental team… the level is very high here.

1 Like

my fault, I didn’t mean anything professional
Do you compete?

I do! Where are you living now?

Living in Milan. Training very often also in Florence (holidays, weekend and now).

Where do you compete? Have you got any suggestion for a beginner like me?

Most races are canceled at the moment, you can check out other local races here: Prossime Gare

Best way to start as a beginner are granfondos.
There are plenty in Lombardia which are easily reachable from Milan (i’m more or less in the same area).

For example, you can start from this one in october: http://gfilombardia.it/

Late to the party here, but I am moving to Milan at the end of this summer and I am sort of in this same position. I should be like a Cat 2-3 racer at that point and I realize that its a whole different ball game in European racing, but I want to find a pretty competitive club team, etc. to race/train with.

Were you able to find a club/group to race with at all (I know the COVID situation is still an issue in Italy) or do you (or anyone) have any leads or suggestions?

I’m living in Milan but competing with a team from Florence were I spent most of my time since the beginning of the restrictions.
Races are back on track. There are granfondos and marathon if you can travel.

Ok, well when I actually get there if you’re ok with it, I’d love to maybe meet up and ride since I have absolutely no idea where to ride that kind of thing.

Also, is there like a Kermesse/circuit/crit race scene around at all or is it really just the Fondos, that kind of thing? Like I am really interested in how the actual racing ranks work because all of the good US racers go to BENELUX to race and so thats the only foreign racing reference point I have and the US domestic scene is fairly straight forward as well and there is basically no readily accessible information about racing in Italy as like an elite amateur (US Cat 1-2-3).

there are plenty of circuit races, not just fondos. Though fondos are huge in Italy, really competitive.

for amateur races (I’m sure there are plenty of other sites as well).