Heart rate strap residual charge

Anyone else come across heart rate strap residual charge? I’ve stumbled across it after starting to use the EliteHRV app and my Wahoo Tickr strap. I’ve often noticed when first putting my hr strap on readings are all over the place but in general settle down during a workout. I’ve often put this down to being worse when battery is getting near replacement. It was only when starting to use EliteHRV and I was seeing VERY unusual and obviously wrong readings (260bpm spikes when laying in bed and hr actually below 50bpm) I looked into the help docs on why signal was classed as poor in EliteHRV.
I found this, What is Signal Quality? - Elite HRV Knowledge Base and after following instructions to remove residual charge I get much more consistent readings and have also noticed less disruption at the start of workouts.
Just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences and if others bother taking these steps to improve hr data in workouts.

Interesting, but not something I have ever had a problem with. Looked at the guidance - it seems a little vague.
Depending on the monitor, this may have to be done every once in a while

Had the same issue with my Tickr and that app although for workouts I’ve never had an issue. Main problem for me (see other thread) is that they break every 2 years.

Used garmin HR monitor straps for over 25 years. Never seen this as far as I can recall.

1 Like

I’m finding each morning after a workout day I’m having to take out the battery or during the hrv preview session I see hr readings bouncing all over. To be fair they don’t recommend the Wahoo Tickr strap, I’ve been toying with replacing and getting a Garmin one but the Polar straps are recommended by Elite HRV.
I can’t say I’ve had any problems with longevity of Wahoo straps.

Would thoroughly recommend the Polar H10. I have had a range of straps and wear them nearly every day. I moved over to polar strap with a Garmin sensor early on, and have also had some newer Garmin straps that have worked ok. But I now use the Polar H10 and it has been faultless for over 2 years.

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s a residual charge, but sometimes the electrodes need a bit before you have a good signal. Mostly that is due to it being too dry, and you need to sweat first or wet the electrodes. Never had that issue, so not sure.

Sometimes when a strap is on the way out I’ve seen what I think are erratic readings and after a bit it would settle down. I have always thought that after a while there’s simply more sweat/ conductivity to make it read correctly.

Sounds like a low battery to me. I’ve had to do the upside down battery trick a few times in the past to reset the device when changing the battery. That usually solves any reception issues. But I’ve only had to do it once, and only when replacing a battery.

New strap, new battery (plus this reports as new when connected to my Fenix), strap is always wet when putting on

Wahoo is aware of a design flaw with their Tickr straps. I bought a new Tickr in November 2020 and the readings started flaking out in February (just past the return window, of course). Reading on the web that others had issues. Contacted Wahoo support, they sent me a newer style strap, but I haven’t had a chance to try it. By that point, I had already switched to a Polar H10 and so far have had no issues.

1 Like

Try Electrode gel instead of spit. Also, and this is anecdotal but, rub a pencil eraser on the silver contact points from time to time.

Using the same TICKR for the last 3 years going into its 4th year. I replaced the strap twice. Been lucky.

That sounds unlucky to me. I have never had a polar strap fail. I had one that was used nearly every day for over 6 years without issue. Still works fine, just not used now since I got my polar H10

I’ve no doubt in the superiority of your Polar strap and monitor.

My point was in relation to Wahoo and the few posters here who say they’ve had issues. My replacement of straps had nothing to do with the breaking or wearing out. I just replace them when I feel it’s needed. Even after washing mine quite a bit they still worked.

I’m more disposable with my stuff. I change chains more often, change tires before the wear marks get close (but donate them to the local recyclery) and change bar tape at the start of every outdoor riding season (feels good to have new stuff and feels nice to “get ready” so to speak).

Enjoy your Polar they sound great.

This is my experience this morning, even after wearing strap for a short while without battery inserted. Those two early spikes were allegedly 220+, the smaller spikes around the 150 mark.

During my 150 second reading though levels were normal and didn’t rise above 56. If I’d not worn strap without battery prior I suspect the reading would have been poor and the spikes continued for much longer.

For now I’ll carry on as the workaround offers a solution even if a little annoying but when strap really needs replacing may switch brands.
The idea of this thread wasn’t to start bashing brand A against B, it was meant as an offer of advice to others perhaps seeing erroneous readings and the cause possibly being residual charge buildup.