Heart Rate Spikes and Performance

Hi,

Since a couple of weeks ago I failed Lamarck. No big deal, it happens, but it made me realize that what I though was an issue of the HR monitor, it probably isn’t (HR monitor is three months old and I’m wetting the electrodes with a dedicated gel). The reason I say this is because I had a clear feeling of my heart jumping around. Assuming it was not an HR issue, this had already happened in the past. It seems to be happening in the first 2-3 intervals of a workout, and then it smooths out. Anecdotally, when this happens I don’t feel at my best. Last Saturday I rode outside with a group I regularly ride with every Saturday, and I felt like I struggled more than usual (maybe a day off, maybe the wind, maybe an herpes outbreak from which I had not recovered, who knows), and again I found that my heart rate was spiky on one short, not particularly steep climb.
Thoughts?

For reference: this is my third year on TrainerRoad. This year I have been able to be very consistent with my training (low volume) and diet, yet results didn’t quite arrive (but this may be a different topic). Started in November with Sweet Spot I, then Sweet Spot II, Build, and then rinsed and repeat (including the deloading every third week).

Ladt ride outside

Carpathian Peak
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.29.18 PM

Cedric Wright

Lamarck

The first and right response is to talk to your doctor (& full disclosure I am not one) as this could be a serious issue. That you are feeling things during these episodes is notable. I recommend you buy a Kardia 6 lead portable EKG. It will record a 30 second period and give a high level assessment, though a cardiologist read of the file is optimally needed. Use it to check your rhythm at multiple times. Save the EKG records and share them with your doctor - he/she will appreciate it. Here is a 6-lead unit: Kardia . If you have a heart rhythm issue, there are treatments for many of them. Search this forum for atrial fibrillation issues to learn from some others here. I know this can be pretty stressful and I wish you the best of luck.

1 Like

I agree, it is time for a stress test. See your doctor and talk to him/her about your issues. Try to find a cardiologist with cycling experience.

1 Like