Male, 61kg, 173cm, 230FTP here. Over the last few years i have been getting headaches after intense rides and on the trainer. These get quite bad and tend to start after the ride and can progress into the next day. I was kinda used to them, but now that im actively trying to build fitness im pushing myself a lot more and these are becoming common.
For example yesterday i did Mills + 20min @160w.
- Granola, blueberries and yoghurt for breakfast + creatine.
- I had a lunch of 2 small burritos (mostly protein)
- I had 1 nuun tablet with 700ml around 5pm.
- Started riding around 6 pm. Had an energy gel (SIS) during warm-up.
- Had a banana about 30 mins in. Also had about 700ml of water + nuun over the ride.
- Finish ride about 7:30. 720 cal / 154 average / 159bpm average.
- After ride had an apple with a couple table spoons of peanut butter.
- About 2hrs (9:30pm) after ride had a light dinner of brisket and sandwich.
- Got headache around 11pm. 3/10 pain.
- two glasses of water… approx. 700ml.
- Tried another nuun with 300ml of water.
- Slept. Woke up around 8am with a headache. 6/10 pain.
- Took ibuprofen around 9, headache gone by 10.
Note the nuun/gel does not have caffeine.
I had the same thing happen on Sunday on a bunch ride. A heavy push followed by a sprint about half-way through really cooked me. The ride home was fine, but as soon as i got back i was getting the headache and was pretty tired. For long tempo rides im absolutely fine, this seems to only happen when i’m absolutely at my limit (ie: im fighting to not bail on an interval or sprinting in a bunch ride).
What am i doing wrong? Is it hydration? Is it carbs? I’m burning 700cal but obviously not eating precisely that?