Hard start VO2max intervals

So, here’s one for the hive mind - would appreciate thoughts.

Into my second week of a VO2Max block doing two HS VO2Max workouts a week with as much z2 around it as I can and a (probably too intense) group ride. The second VO2Max workout of the first week was a 4x5 and I started the second week this morning with another 4x5 - so same workout, 1 week apart…

First time I did the workout I got circa 14m TiZ, the second time I did it (this morning), I got circa 1m TiZ! So, what happened?

Looking at the intervals in terms of power they are pretty similar and in terms of RPE felt about the same I think, but I was surprised that my HR didn’t tip over to >90% MaxHR for a longer time.

Workout 1, 24/02/22:

Workout 2, 02/03/22:

So, what am I missing here? Fatigue causing HR to not rise? Didn’t go hard enough? Adaptation kicking in from previous block(s) - SST and THR progression? Something else?

Looking at the two days, the other daily metrics which could offer some context are RHR and HRV, which were all seemingly within normal deviation values (Workout 1, 24/02/22: RHR, 42 & HRV, 71 & Workout 2, 02/03/22: RHR, 41 & HRV, 67) apart from this morning prior to workout to my HRV app noted I was in a Sympathetic state.

I don’t want to over think it but focusing on KM approach and TiZ >90% MaxHR I want this 3 week VO2Max block to be as productive as possible.