Hard start VO2max intervals

Coming back to you (from the calculating LT1 thread)…here is my little take and maybe some inspiration for others:

My experiment with little VO2max block before starting into extensive then intensive aerobic phases:

So no overdose of 3 weeks of 3 workouts (maybe even day by day) per week…I leave that to the recovery pros with no life stresss ;).

But 3 weekends with 6 workouts overall…sometimes back to back and with nice progression.

I favor longer intervals over on/offs…as I’m with Kolie and these are more race specific for me (triathlon and gran fondo stuff etc). Nevertheless I start with one on/off (Rattlesnake +1) to get me going into going hard again.

I try to mix ERG and resistance mode. Then adjust intensity as needed to make it a hard workout but not unbearable. Workouts have RPE rating from „8-9“ and higher.

I have a „VO2max for low VLaMax athlete“ workout in there which I like 4x(2min@120%8min@102%) 4min rbi.

And also the 5x5 Bossi intervals which are also pretty matching for this thread here…I would recommend all to try and use these!
Bossi:
5x(30s 100% MAP (~130% FTP), 60s 77% MAP (~108% FTP), 30s 100% MAP (~130% FTP), 60s 77% MAP (~108% FTP), 30s 100% MAP (~130% FTP), 90s 77% MAP (~108% FTP)) 5min rbi

(Would like to add those workouts to the hard start VO2max team but I guess only the owner of the team can do this…or somebody can promote me to admin :man_shrugging:)

Update: Added to team!

Conclusion:
No idea about exact adaptations but I got confident at putting out high power again after base phase with minimal intensity (bike). Was a nice change in stimulus and as I don’t have to rush into some early peak I have time to start aerobic extensive work from February now.

So after that I had 2 weeks with less structure and bit of life stress and just now I have started into aerobic extensive phase with a 3x20 and 2x30 sweet sport workouts and might meet you in the sweet spot thread.

2 Likes