Haleakala climb training?

I’m aiming to do the Haleakala climb in Maui in the fall and I’m hoping for some suggestions of which plan combos would be suitable. It’s a steep 10,000ft/3048m climb over 36mi/58k and average times are supposedly about 5hrs with breaks.

I’m coming off a 2.5 month break from training because of an injury so am going to restart from base phase. The sustained power plans sound suitable but their long rides are only 2hrs. Should I double the long ride workouts? Alternatively the triathlon workouts have longer rides but are their ride profiles suited to a relentless climb like Haleakala? If so, would half or full distance be better?

I’m new to Trainer Road and any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Most likely plan progression:

1. Sweet Spot Base 1 & 2
  2. Sustained Power Build
  3. Century Specialty
  • Don’t judge the rides purely on time. Many of those are Sweet Spot efforts and more challenging than you might expect. I suggest trying them as-is for now. You can always adjust if you feel you need more.
  • If you have not followed a structured training plan inside like this, I highly recommend following the Low Volume plan directly for a bit, then see how you adapt to it.
1 Like

the workout tips for all plans include notes about substituting a long ride on the weekend. If I were in your shoes, would go with the progression above and substitute a long 3-6 hour outside ride on the weekend. My outside rides usually include a 40-60 minute solo ride to a group ride, and then the same solo ride home. In my opinion, those long rides are critical to building aerobic fitness.

3 Likes

make sure you get lots of tempo, sweet spot, and even some vo2max in. that climb sounds awesome

Eh dont fret I did this climb on about zero training…Which was dumb, but do able.

I did not even own a road bike at the time, and only occasionally (maybe once a week…maybe) rode my mountain bike back then. I decided that I would give the climb a go for the bucket list nature of it. Pre trip I did 4 training rides over two weeks, all about 40-50 miles…That’s it. I then went out and made the climb in a little over 5 hours (with two short stops at the market and ranger station), I ate like crazy, to the point that gels and waffles were disgusting, and drank a bunch, I knew I wasn’t fit but could manage it as long as I didn’t bonk. The last bit at altitude sucked, and I was spent. I remember seeing the top and thinking I am almost there, then it took another 90 minutes of swtich backs which all felt like torture, the rest was not horrible even with no real fitness*. Its a bit chilly at the top, so either have a SAG or pack warmers and vest and get off the top fairly quickly, I froze for a bit on the descent (which is a blast by the way).

From a TR perspective, I would do a bunch of sweet spot, long steady state power, the roads are very consistent in gradient, and you just need to build up your fatigue threshold.

SS base 1 & 2 and the century plan would be good IMO. I also wouldn’t worry about long rides if time is tight. Just crush some good 2 hour trainer rides and a couple long outdoors to sample nutrition and I think you will be just fine.

Enjoy it, its a bucket list ride for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks for this info! With the sweet spot base I see there’s level 1 and 2. Is it suitable to shorten a week or two out of the 2nd level? Counting up the weeks in the 4 plans you listed it’s more time than I have before the trip so looking to shorten where I can. Without compromising training.

Thanks! This helps me prepare for it mentally. After reading a bunch of ride reviews I had it in my head that I’d have to be training harder than when I did an ironman a few years ago. Glad to know it isn’t as bad as I imagined!

I did it in 3:41 on a supposedly bad conditions day. I almost exclusively did sweet spot leading up to it, nothing over two hours.

I would go sweet spot base. Then general or sustained build. Then century plan.

Maui cyclery does a supported ride up it once a week! They give you bottles and food and bring clothes up to the gate. I will use them again if I ever decide to do it again.

2 Likes

Just remove a week out of the build plan. Remove the last week before the taper.

1 Like

Ride completed! Thanks again for all the advice. It was a hard one but now off the bucket list. Used the trainer road platform for about 98% of the training and it worked out great.

3 Likes