Gravel tires for pavement

Any tips on getting challenge getaways on??

Im 5050 on sending them back as if it get a puncture i cant plug doubt id get the off the rim trail side.

Mouting them on 303 firecrest if that makes a difference.

Had some tight ones before but this is a joke

Challenge makes a little doohickey to help pull them on, may be worth getting one? The good news is once they’re on, the do seem to stretch a little bit.

Soap the bead, make sure the first side is in the channel once they’re on… really all the usual tips. They’re really hard to mount for sure!

1 Like

Not a problem getting them on/off after riding. Mine were an absolute bear when new, but I mounted them by hand when I had to put a tube in after slicing a sidewall. Zipp 303s. The handmades really stretch out a ton.

1 Like

The handmades are a pita to get on, but I’d stay away from anything other than their handmade tires/tubulars. The vulcanized ones don’t even seem like they’re made by the same company

1 Like

Has anyone had major headaches getting Gravel King SKs to seat?

I have had several pairs a little loose. Blast with air and if that doesn’t work, you can add a layer of tape.

If I’ve had them on and off multimple times yes they become nearly impossible to reseat.

If you get the standard ones, they’re no different than any tire to seat. If you get the HTLR versions, it’s an act of congress to get them on the rim. Seating the bead isn’t much harder than any other tire in my experience, but just getting them on is a royal pain in the ass, since they dont really have any shape to them

For as good as their cx tires are, Im really not a fan of anything from challenge for road or gravel. Really wanted to love the gravel kings, as they’re pretty much just a Chicane in 36 (or 38, dont remember?).

You mention the Challenge brand along with the Gravel King tires, but the GK’s are made by Panaracer.

Oh crud! I was confusing the “gravel grinder” with “gravel king”

Ignore more! Haha

1 Like

Put a couple layers of tape on. You can even use electrical tape or something.

What type of pressure are people running their gravel tires at when riding on pavement? I just mounted Tufo Gravel Thundero 40s on my graveler but am likely doing a lot of paved riding (not mixed) on it. I run 35-40 psi when I’m off road.

I’d go with the Silca pressure calculator… but always remember to check the maximum psi allowed by tyres and rims manufacturers
I have Challenge Getaways 45c which blow up to almost 48. the Silca calculator suggests 37psi for my setup, but tyres max out at 35… so be mindful

I am currently riding 40c Cinturato M’s which have been excellent. If I was riding more road or smoother gravel, I would get Gravelkings as they are much faster.

I have 38’s front and rear on the Boone - I think it would go 40 on the front but not the rear

1 Like

I’ve got a set of Specialized Pathfinder Pro’s on the way - I’ll be mounting them tubeless which will be a first for me. I’m going to use the silca calculator and let you know how it rolls after that.

@Stevie_Dee If this is your first time with 'em, just be aware they feel different when riding on them. :smiley: You’ll know what I mean.