Gravel Bike - suspension or not?

Figured I’d chime in here as one of the minority in favor of real suspension on gravel bikes. I’ve been running an MRP Baxter 2.0 fork on my Open UPPER for the last few months, and really think a lot of people would have their opinion swayed after a few big rides on the bike. I have found it to be faster, and more importantly IMO a whole lot more comfortable, over chunkier terrain than a rigid fork. I have pretty much constant neck pain from a spine disorder, and have found that the suspension fork makes a straight up night and day difference in how I feel after huge rides. The added comfort throughout the day also lets you feel fresher and focus on riding hard, which I think is a factor that people often overlook despite it being a very big deal. Additionally, the MRP has a lockout that I use whenever on pure asphalt and with it engaged genuinely forget I have a suspension fork. Very rigid.

My Open built up with the fork and Spesh pathfinder pro’s in 42mm, weighs 19.3lbs (with pedals and cages) in the setup I will be running for Unbound 200 this week.

I think if your “gravel” rides are primarily smooth dirt roads than it obviously doesn’t make sense to run true suspension. But as soon as the road is even slightly bumpier I’d be willing to argue that almost everyone would be faster as a whole when running a short travel suspension fork.

9 Likes

I’d rather for Future Shock type suspension, I suppose it has better characteristics

Where were you on the fit spectrum for your Lauf?

I’m 182cm which is top end of Medium and 183 starting for Large. Have ordered the Medium with aim to put on a 90mm stem.

I feel that going on a Large would be driving an oil tanker with their sizing. My previous bike I was 2-3cm into the bottom of their sizing chart and rode a Large with a 90mm stem.

Tires first, then you don’t need a suspension.

In my last “new” gravel (a very very Chinese one :D) I have 2,2" (real 56mm Kenda Saber Pro) tires. Big tires + low pressure and never thought about suspension, comparing to old bike with 40mm tires it is a totally different world in terms of ride smoothness and speed on even small rocks or well, gravel.

Very little frame, low stack - also not possible with suspension fork. It is just like my road bike. It rides like my road bike, it feels like my road bike. Just one with massive tires and I feel I can go anywhere with it.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s been a few years and I don’t remember. The problem with those fit spectrums is they don’t take into account leg, torso, and arm lengths, or rider fit preferences (upright/aero). Every shop I go to tries to put me on a 56, and every fitter tells me to go 58. I think the reality is that I need a 57. I personally prefer shorter stems with longer top tubes.

@SirDAN did you get your Lauf? How do you like it? I’m seriously considering the Seigla Weekend Warrior Wireless and debating between the Lauf suspension fork and the RedShift or CaneCreek stem. In my case my gravel riding will primarily be mid-atlantic and north-east USA. I may also bring / store it at work for early morning workouts around a local, flat, park road, so the comments about the Lauf fork making the front end feel “loose” on pavement when putting out power have me a bit concerned. I’m very drawn to the fact that it has similar geometry as my road bike.

Where are you riding? By the time you need suspension you usually need MTB size tires too. The exception might be post hole and washboard dirt (proper) roads.

I rented a roubaix in Naples FL, which has (had??) the worlds smoothest roads. I didn’t find it distracting. The rear end rode like a normal bike.

Every other time I wanted suspension, really needed an XC mtb. Front forks aren’t good for road duty for a few reasons. Rear suspension takes up space I use for water bottles and a frame bag. A good seat post (like Ergon/Canyons post) goes a long way. In front, flexy bars and riding in the drops help a lot.

Hi. I did get it. Got the Race a wireless Rigid Seigla. Flys like a plane. Had no issues with delivery nor putting it all together. It’s light and responsive. Almost what I think a road bike would be like. And light. Swapped out my stem for a Redshift shock stem as per my last bike. I have added two wheelsets both with eThirteen 9-46 12spd cassettes and a SRAM GX AXS deraileur, and additional chain. Will use the extra wheel set components for the touring and bigger tyres. Have learnt that the flattop chain is exclusive to the XPLR 10-44 cassette, however, the chain ring is interchageable between a standard 12spd and flattop chain. Also got myself two chainrings 38 & 42. The white paint is beautiful. Love my bike. I am sure you will be happy should you go that route. Let me know :metal:t3:

4 Likes

Somewhat reinvigorating this thread with a mostly theoretical question since I don’t have permission from the wife for another new bike …

For the sake of discussion, if getting a new Lauf Seigla, is there any reason to get a version with the Lauf fork for $350USD more than the equivalent “rigid” version when the Redshift ShockStop Suspension Stem is $170USD and the Cane Creek eeSilk Stem is $230USD?

The advantage of the Lauf fork (or any suspension fork, for that matter) is that is suspends the bike and the rider, not just the rider. Your HB remains in a constant position relative to the bike, as well…no rotation of the bar forward as the stem compresses.

For an extra $120-$180, I’d just get the fork personally.

2 Likes

I specifically selected the Race Rigid over the suspension fork option, added the Redshift Stem as I had that for 3 years prior on a different (now stolen) bike, I don’t feel I lose out with having the rigid fork.

I chose Race as wanting to go electronic gearing (best decision yet - would be hard to go back to mechanical) and chose Force (Race) as one can swap the chainrings without the expense of changing the powermeter cranks with Red.

As a side note, I also bought AXS GXderaileur and eThirteen 9-46 cassette (and GX chain) for those rides where I believe the standard XPLR option will be undergeared on certain courses. Also bought additional chainrings for super hilly (38t) and super fast (42t and 44t) route profiles. I like tinkering. and having options for certain races/adventures.

2 Likes

@SirDAN , at the risk of derailing this thread, how are you liking the rigid Lauf now that you have some time on it?
Any regrets not getting the Grit fork?

I recently was in the market for a new gravel bike. I purchased a Trek Checkpoint and am quite happy with it. It has bigger tire clearance than my last bike and I can get 45 mm tires in there. If you’ve got good wide tires and a tubeless setup, it gives you a lot of ‘suspension’. I do some pretty rugged gravel rides in East Tennessee and am happy with the performance.

I guess the real issue that I considered was that it takes maybe 20-40 minutes to ride up a mountain and 5 minutes to descend.

Anyway I love bike tech. So I don’t want to bad mouth suspensions on gravel bikes. I just wanted to point out you can get good ‘suspension’ with real wide tires.

4 Likes

Yeah, loving it. Have done a 3 day bike packing trip (430km 6200vm) and two miler races (14th & 4th Master) on it. Didn’t feel it was lacking in any department nor did I wish I had the suspension fork.

Riding the medium, as I was top end of the sizing scale 182cm, my previous gravel bike felt like a ship. This is nimble, can throw it around, it’s sparky, responsive.

The shock stem must help as it is noticeable without it. I have changed to a 3D saddle, does one ever have the correct saddle.

No regrets with the Lauf rigid Seigla.

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

The stuff that I’ve ridden on 35mm CX tires have me thinking that 45-50mm tires will make a big difference.
The thing that I do come back to with suspension is washboard, but there’s almost always lines that are smoother.

1 Like

45-50 tires over 35 definitely make a difference.

Washboards stink no matter what unless you have mtb suspension. Sure bigger tires and some suspension on your gravel bike do help washboards be less awful.

It’s just a matter of what is the majority of gravel you’ll be riding. It’s pretty rare I would think to have constant washboards on a ride. 45 tires with a bit of suspension will handle most gravel pretty well.

2 Likes

Might be nice but I see something as future shock a great idea on paper, but weak link when it fails. I personally dislike the idea of suspension on a road bike frame ie gravel too, and probably ride too little (during summer half year) to make use of it. Ie 2-3 “long” rides per week max. You might find that a bike fit does a lot more for your comfort and posture on the bike than reduced buzz from suspension. I’d start there!

I ride a quite basic alloy gravel bike and it’s just great as it is. Almost pulled the trigger on a really fancy carbon bike but backed out- it won’t make me any faster :slight_smile:

The red shift stem is quite interesting if you haven’t seen it.

1 Like

Maybe its because I am a relatively light rider or that I went for an aluminium frame with carbon forks, rather than full carbon, but I am always jealous of folk who have a suspension stem or something in their frame :face_with_spiral_eyes: :crazy_face:

1 Like

As someone who owned a Lauf with the fork, I can tell you that it makes very little difference on washboard. Bigger tires with lower pressure is actually better in that situation.

Check out this video from Gravel Cyclist for an example. Lauf Grit Fork Review - Does it take the edge off the rough stuff? - YouTube

3 Likes