GP5000 sidewall leak

Competitive Cyclist. They ran a special not long ago. They were excellent in helping me out and already have one heading out their door to replace it.

I’ll see about weighing them to compare.

Do the beads look different between a tubed and TL gp5000? I don’t know, but I would assume that they would. It’s possible it got labeled incorrectly. More likely it could have also missed a step on the assembly line. Like the thin layer on the inside that makes it hold air better. If the weight is between the two, this would probably be the culprit.

I have two coming from Backcountry (same company) so now I’m concerned… please let us know how the new ones compare. What you saw is highly abnormal. I’ve been through four of these tires - they are great normally.

I recall reading a while back about similar issues with conti cross king and race king MTB tires leaking through their sidewalls.

I was a little reluctant to buy conti tires as a result, but I’ve had zero issues with my cross Kings and race Kings.

My guess is it’s a sporadic manufacturing defect or counterfeit issue with contis.

Experiencing the same issue here. I bought 2 tires. One of them without any problems. The other leaked through pores at first, but seemed to be fine after a night with sealant. Even raced a short circuit race on them and did one more ride.

Then on a hot day after 1h30m in noticed it becoming soft. Pumped up a few times to get home. Seemed to leak more than on the first day. Now not holding air for an hour.

They do. The tubeless version is thicker, more rubberized, and sort of angular, vs the non tubeless is a much more familiar, subtle round shape.

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. Definitely genuine 5000TL from a dealer. 3 oz (double the normal) of Continental sealant over 12 hours, and there’s one 4 cm section of one sidewall that still leaks between the plies. The other tyre, and the remainder of this one, seal OK. Looks like it’s finally starting to seal up with sealant now, but the fact that it’s just one section concerns me. I’ve been riding road tubeless for 8 years and never seen a tyre leak through the sidewall.

Same issue over here. Initially I mounted both GP5000 TL without sealant and they were sealed tight. Added the sealant a week later after deciding that I was going to keep these tires on that set of wheels. Rode for about 3-4weeks, no crazy mileage just normal riding on nice paved roads. Both tires look still very new, yet the sidewalls of the back tire started to leak all around the sutures with the bead. Don’t know if I will be able to get a replacement from probikefit or Schwalbe directly, because I have ridden the tire for a month… and most importantly the GP5000 non tubeless were my favorites tires. Now with this early issue with the TL version, I’m hesitant to buy another GP5000…

The strange thing about this topic is that the GP5000TL is supposed to have a butyl inner liner to prevent all this kind of leakage. I’ve had three GP5000TLs. The first two were from when the tire first came out. I replaced the rear tire and I could tell that the bead flap changed a bit and the tire sealed a bit easier on my rims.

Stans Sealant has a weeping problem. I didn’t really have that problem on my GP5000TLs, but it was really bad on some of my Maxxis MTB tires.

Orange Seal is much better in this regard. Very satisfied with the Orange Seal Endurance product.