Going Tubeless ... What Do I Need?

First and foremost, my wife is awesome and let me get a set of carbon tubeless ready wheels. They probably count as anniversary, birthday, and Christmas gifts for the next two years but (hopefully) totally worth it.

So … what do I need to actually go tubeless with them? Below are items I think I need. What brands do you recommend (specific links appreciated)? Also, are there good videos on how to setup and maintain tubeless step-by-step?

• Sealant injector syringe (KOM?)
  • Presta valve core removal tool
  • Tubeless tire repair tool
  • Sealant (is this list from BikeRadar a good place to start?)
  • Tubeless tires (GP5000 TL on order, man those were expensive compared to clinchers)
  • Tubeless valve stem (on order from wheel manufacturer)
  • Tubeless tape (not ordered since the rims will not have spoke holes)
1 Like

I might suggest a tire bead jack because tubeless tires are notoriously tight and difficult to get on. You may also need an air compressor to get them to seat unless you have a high-volume pump. some dish soap is sometimes helpful to get them seated.

Otherwise, your list looks good to me.

3 Likes

You will need a shift in mindset when it comes to punctures.

I know that sounds strange but I see it quite a bit with new riders to tubeless setups. They have been told by the local group that tubeless is the answer to all problems and you won’t get another puncture. Then 28 miles later they are standing on the side of the road with a latex streak up their back and no idea how to get home.

Educate yourself on plugs and repairs. Know how your tires fit and get really good and popping beads on and off.

7 Likes

This is a basic starter kit I would recommend:

A few duplicates - I have opinions on those - and the pic is missing spare valve cores you will need if/when a core gets clogged.

EDIT:

From left to right:

• Spray bottle with soapy water for installation
  • Your favorite sealant, mine is Orange Seal Regular (not endurance) for extra protection, and the tradeoff is that you have to top off sealant once a month which leads me to
  • KOM cycling sealant injector syringe
  • Orange Seal “dipstick” to spot check sealant level… included in a kit I bought years ago and I don’t think they sell it anymore but you can make your own with a coffee stir stick
  • Kool-Stop tire jack to stop all the swearing while installing the 5000 TL on my Enve 5.6 disc wheels
  • Cush Core tire pusher to save your thumbs while installing tubeless on gravel or mtb wheels (I was able to install 35mm Pirelli Cinturato tires on Bontrager Pro 3V wheels without this)
  • Hutchinson RepAir for patching the inside of a tubeless tire that gets a large gash, I’m the Bermuda Triangle of flats and used this more than I care to say
  • Park Tools presta valve core removal tool along with Enve tool (always available - screws on end of presta valve) and the little U shaped one that came with some other valve stems
  • Tubeless valve stems
  • Extra valve cores (not in pic) because yours will likely get clogged over time
  • Valve extenders for seat bag if you have mid-aero wheels, are unlucky, have a large gash that won’t seal, only have one bacon with you, pinch flat your only tube, and are left begging for a tube and the stem is too short for your mid-aero wheels :man_facepalming:
  • KOM Cycling Tubeless tire repair tool and extra bacon (love this one for road)
  • DynaPlug tubeless repair kit in metal pill shaped container (lower right) this works better with gravel and MTB because I couldn’t repair a sidewall tear a few months ago that the KOM would have (DynaPlug brass tip was too big, so I bought KOM kit for road)

During installation sometimes I need my Porter Cable air compressor, and sometimes I can just hand pump. Always spray with soapy water to make it easier to slide second bead over rim.

2 Likes

What’s the metal teal thing in the top right? I moved to tubeless when I got new wheels and need to start checking my boxes for preparedness.

Bacon and a needle thingy to insert the bacon into a “too large to seal” gash in a road tire.

This:

Small bacon for road tires. Small and compact for jersey pocket or saddle bag.

Ah perfect. I ended up getting a the Stan’s Dart, which is basically the same thing, I think. I love the “bacon and a needle thingy” terminology. :joy:

1 Like

Is that like a plug for a car tire?

Yes. Saved me a couple of times on the road.

1 Like

Plus if you don’t have an air compressor, you’ll need something sit the tire. Airshot Amazon.com : Airshot Tubeless Tire Inflator 1.15l : Sports & Outdoors
or Milkit Amazon.com : milKit Tubeless Booster - The Award-Winning Tubeless Bicycle Tire Inflator - Inflate Your Tubeless Tires Quickly and Easily Anywhere with a Boost! : Sports & Outdoors
both work great. I have the Milkit kits with cores. They work great.

I got one of these:

No, the internet has never made a video on this topic.

2 Likes

You’d be surprised with newer tubeless tire setups. I seated my schwalbe pro ones on my light bicycle rims with just a floor pump on the first try (didn’t even have to soap the bead or anything). They’ve come a long way since the days of “sure, you can try to put a tubeless tire on this rim”.

2 Likes

In this order…

• Tubeless-ready wheels
  • Tape if they need it
  • Tyres
  • Tubeless valves
  • Pump/airshock/co2 cartridges/compressor to seat the tyres
  • Core removal tool, spoke key, or small pliers
  • Sealant and something to inject it through the valve stem (lots now come in suitable bottles for that)

Method:

• tape rim, if you need too
  • poke valve through and tighten the lock nut, then take core out
  • put tyre on
  • pump until it pings on both sides of the rim (use airshock/co2/compressor if needed)
  • carefully let air out, tyre should stay seated
  • add sealant
  • install valve core
  • pump to a bit higher than riding pressure
  • shake and rotate wheel to distribute sealant
  • go ride (take a pump, and don’t go far for a first test)
1 Like

My experience with 5000TLs, I needed tyre lever to get them over the rim, they are quite tight but they seat incredibly easy; the track pump is good enough. Softer tyres like Schwalbe go on easy but are more awkward to seat and the track/air tank aren’t good enough only a co2 cartridge seats them.

That’s good to hear because I ordered LB rims. Which ones did you get? Also, why did you go with the Schwalbe Pro One tires versus, say, GP5000 TL?

Patience, followed by thoughts and prayers

3 Likes

Have you seen schwalbes’s video, its probably to get you to buy another product, they use seating foam then seat the tyre with a hand pump :-o I’ve had to use a CO2 canister the twice I have fitted them :slight_smile:

I’ve just fitted one today (a Pro one) I had to use a CO2 cannister (seated first time when I did) but that was after giving up on the track pump. For my rims they were easy to fit by hand my usual tyres are 5000 TL which are harder to fit (a couple of go and tyre levers are needed for me) the 6 of them I have had though have seated 1st time with a track pump. I got a Pro One this time as it for the TT bike which needs 25mm or smaller and the bike shop only had 5000 TL’s in 28.

I’ve got tubeless on my mtb, and I have tubeless ready rims for my road bike, but have stuck with latex tubes.

They are faster, and I’ve good success with them in terms of punctures, a lot better than butyl tubes. Plus the non tubeless tires are cheaper, ride nicer and are lighter.

Downside is pumping them before each ride.

1 Like