Get yer Polarized training workouts!

They’re evolving - the latest mid volume has 2 min vo2 intervals alongside the others. Good to see that.

Yep - not a chance thats realistic on a correct FTP.

It goes back to what has been pointed out a lot of times already, that intensity discussions around Seiler intervals are based on a 60 min FTP test which is going to give a lower FTP estimate than a TR ramp test for most people. Its probably still a very tough day at the office even based on that though.

1 Like

What was your FTP and TTE with the KM test?

Yes I meant I prefer 4 days when doing a plan. Either did TB or picked LV and added the extra day

This is good as breakthrough workout - so if you can complete it your FTP is probably higher. I agree that there is no way, for me, I could do 4x16@106% FTP. 106% is close max effort at PDC in wko for 15 minutes so doing it 4 times clearly means my FTP would be off. This is the only logical explanation of this particular workout. And I do not have any problems with 4x15@FTP and longer as these are my goto workouts. I do not say it cannot be done by someone with some particular abilities to suffer but I do not think that it can be done early in the block with proper FTP.

2 Likes

Put it this way, even when I was at a TTE comfortably of 60+ with 300W you aren’t getting me doing 318W repeatedly for 16 minutes

Yeah… That’s not happening with and current FTP set via the ramp test. 5 x 8 Min at 107% completed right after a ramp test is doable. I’d like to shake the person’s hand that can do 4 x 16 Min @ 106%. They’d have crossed into “hero” territory if it was even possible.

6 Likes

Trying the 3x16 tomorrow and will see. Will ride hard and above FTP to see where I’m at because honestly, haven’t tried an effort like this in ages so don’t have any feel for what I could do. Actually don’t think I’ve ever tried a 3x16 above FTP workout. Looking forward to it!

Dutton

It’s interesting to hear so much consternation about 4 x 16 at ftp. If we can’t do that, perhaps our FTPs are set way too high? This why Seiler recommends a 1 hour test and not a ramp.

1 Like
  • If I read the comments above correctly, they are actually talking about 4x16m at 105% of FTP or higher, not 100% of FTP.
2 Likes

The consternation was about 4x16@106%. 4x16@100% is pretty normal workout. @106% it is completely different beast.

Correct. 4 x 16 Min @ 106%. When you’re working above FTP combined with those durations 1% can make a noticeable difference.

Interesting to click on the ride and look at the “All Rides” tab. Looks like it’s been attempted twice recently. Neither attempt was successful. No reason listed for the ride stoppage so leaves one to infer what happened.

there’s quite a few 2m 124-130% as well - they have decided to really set some brutal sessions. Not sure I’m doing 12 x 2m 130% any time soon either…

2 mins at 130% is basically my 2 minute PR, set on my last Ramp test. So all I need to do is repeat my PR 11 more times with 4 mins of rest in between. Sounds completely doable.

4 Likes

I guess I’m confused because when I have heard Seiler he is describing 4 x 16 at 16 minutes at 94% of HR max. I’ve never heard him talk about 106% of FTP which doesn’t even seem possible, especially with 2 mins rest!

For HR, I think it’s something akin to:

4x4 91-95%
4x8 88-93%
4x16 86-90%.

PS this where I wish TR had HR zones and a dashboard with total accumulation. it will be hard to track polarized progression without this, IMO.

1 Like

So this is not your real PR like 5 min from ramp test is way lower than 5 min from the test. There is huge difference due the steps before.

2 min @130% will be 5w higher than my 5 min power done 12 times so someone with larger anaerobic contribution should be able to do this I imagine.

1 Like

Hey all, the first version of our polarized plans are finally here. Check out this post for all info.

3 Likes

What was the joke? My mother was born in a ‘Displaced Persons’ camp in Germany after WW2 where my maternal grandparents ‘relocated’ during the war to farm for the Third Reich. I’m always up for a good one!

Here’s one of the VO2Max workouts prescribed by the infamous youtuber. 4 x 4 @ 1.10-1.25 FTP