Genital numbness only on trainer

I used to have numbness as well. I built a small rocker plate for my tacx vortex and switched to a specialized power saddle with the cut out and shortened nose. I no longer get any numbness at all.

3 Likes

I had the exact same issue last year when on the trainer. After experimenting alot, I came to the conclusion that I can simply “tolerate” more outside which is why I had no bother prior to beginnong training indoors.

Switching to a narrower bar meant my upper body felt better supported as my shoulders, elbows and wrists were more inline. With a wider bar I felt way more splayed out which made me roll my pelvis to compensate.

I also moved to a narrower, flatter saddle as it allowed me to set the portion I sit on at the correct angle to support me without tilting the nose into the soft tissue infront of my sit bones. Saddles with large dips in them don’t tend to work for me, but I do get on well with cut outs. Ultimately, It’s personal preference.

Do you have any friends that cycle, or are you a member of a club with a spare parts bin? Testing all of these things out can get expensive, particularly if you make a change that is counterproductive.

2 Likes

If you are wanting to try out saddles, a good number of bike shops have test models in vile yellows and greens as loaners (might have to ask them as they often don’t advertise this fact).

That way you can see what works and what doesn’t before you buy.

I wish I had a shop near me that did this. It would have saved a lot of hassle and money…

I also use a product called butt shield for extended rides inside I use it indoor for rides over an hour and outside for rides over 2 hours.

Specialized let’s you buy a saddle and try it for 30 days. If you don’t like it you can return it for another saddle. I just picked up a specialized power expert arc. A little more curved than power expert.

Bontrager has the same 30 day return policy.

1 Like

98% certain the Selle SMP Well Gell is going to be my next purchase having tested the entire Well family.

1 Like

This used to be a HUGE problem for me… I didn’t read the entire thread, but what solved it for me was tilting my saddle ever-so-slightly nose down.

If you are able to have your sit bones properly situated on the saddle (i.e. saddle position, bike fit aren’t the problem) try tilting it forward a tiny bit at a time.

Also I use a Selle-Italia Superflow and the only time I get any numbness now is if I slide to far forward on the saddle and don’t notice it.

Standing up is a useful tip, and it can mostly prevent/alleviate the numbness – but that is masking the problem. You nerve is still being compressed and thus being damaged, and you want to keep working on it until you fix that issue.

Good luck

2 Likes

The ISM Adamo type saddle is a pretty extreme solution but worked well for me. They’re really fussy about setup but when you get it right there’s no pressure where you don’t want it.

1 Like

I rarely had a issue with my saddle outdoors but had real trouble on the trainer.

I went to my LBS and was measured into a Specialized Power saddle. I was a 163mm, the widest one. This solved my issue.

The thing that I like about this saddle is that you are dialed in. There is only one place to be sitting, in the right place!

1 Like

I would highly recommend reading this great article about saddles and fit: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/

1 Like

Had the same issue when I first started riding regularly. Lots of good replies have mentioned numerous items. I changed saddles to an ISM saddle. The cutout made a huge difference. The other couple of items is on the trainer you don’t tend to move as much. Get up or move from time to time.

It seems simple but ensure you are sitting on your sit bones. It sounds simple but I really had to focus to learn to change my pressure point as I would have the pressure to far forward vs being back on my sit bones. I have a tendency to move forward on seat as I ride on the trainer and must consciously remind myself to sit correctly

Just to add to the saddle discussion (try saddle angle, position, and bike angle first)

Fizik make open and channel (vs) models if your saddle works for you otherwise. I get along well with the arione and arione vs.

1 Like

SMP saddles are really well designed. And, they have a lot of options.

1 Like

Same issue here.

Some things i tried:

• Went to a LBS and tried one of the measuring seat bone things. The saddle that was recommended to me was better but still had perineal pressure.

• Found an online store with good return policy and ordered some different models with different widths that was supposed to fix there issues. Taped the rail with duct tape and mounted it carefully. Used every saddle for 2-3 weeks and wrote down comments. Sent back the ones that didnt work

• Tried small increments backwards and forwards, tilting up and down. Here i think its best to do one thing at a time and very small increments. But in my opinion this wont solve the issue if the saddle is wrong

The saddle that worked best in the end was a really cheap one for about usd 35. I tried everything from this one up to usd 200 Ones.

What made this one work for me was that it was wide enough.

I think the moral of the story is try, try try.

2 Likes

Just curious if you had any saddle pressure analysis done? I’d recommend saving your time and money trying out different saddles, adjusting position, etc. having the analysis gives you real-time feedback and should be included with your fit. Gebiomized has a device that my fitter uses and has been my experience.

This goes for anyone else on this thread. It’s well worth your time alone to find a fitter that knows how to use and apply this, or a similar tool, to help fit you with the right saddle.

2 Likes

We have one of the mappers and it is an amazing tool.

Meeting with my fitter in next couple of days, he’s got a sample SMP saddle for me to try, hope that solves the issue.

I’ve had this EXACT problem on the trainer, and to some extent, outside. After trying over 20 saddles, I had settled on a Selle SMP that fits me. They make great saddles! However, I’ve recently found a better solution, produced by an up and coming company, Edge Cycling Technologies. They have reinvented the traditional saddle, taking pressure points in to account to reduce contact with nerves. This company was started by 3 cyclist/PTs, and they’re really onto something with the new saddle. A fellow teammate, Joe Lawhorn (and current world record holder in the 24 hour TT on SS) swears this is the only thing that got him through RAAM as a solo finisher.

Totally worth checking them out!

https://edge-cycling.com/products/physiosaddle

2 Likes

Cool idea, but I think you’d need it custom moulded and then stay in the same position riding for it to be comfortable.