Garmin new Suggested Workout = TR Integration/Buyout?

And so would I be. I feel invested in TR, firstly with their product as an early adopter, but with the individuals who through the podcast have proved very personable. I like their mentality - maintaining the focus - ‘if it doesn’t make you faster…’

I especially like the grandfather rights pricing; not for the impact on my pocket but the ethos of the CEO. Still not sure about his tik tok thing though… :wink:

As a Garmin user who feels like a beta software tester for them, I don’t even want to think about them messing with this product

1 Like

Garmin has been terrible at predicting anything.
There are too many moving parts with one training that its very hard to predict in most cases.

probably for pro or life long competitive athletes is more accurate.
But for the avarage Joe, its doesnt work.
Case in point. A friend of mine has a 945. Thats the fanciest watch you can get (HW is the same as all the other high end garmins).
Yet the predictions of status and race times are garbage.
He did a 5k in los 18s (after returning from an injury) and garmin was suggesting his 5k time was 20:30!
In contrast i was predicted a mid 17 5k… and ended with a 19:10 (because Im terrible).

Like I said, way too many variables in training.

Garmin’s training analytics are not all that great, so it’s hard to rely on their predictive training suggestions honestly (I wear my 945 pretty much 24/7, only taking it off to shower, so I should be getting good 24/7 data). At this point, I have a better read on my fatigue than any training tool I’ve come across, so I’d rather rely on my own intuition at this point. I think there are ways adaptive training could be useful if implemented correctly, but I’m not convinced adaptation based on fatigue is one of them because no one seems to have implemented fatigue measurement adequately yet.

Yeah, I’ve happily agreed to beta test for things that are actually in beta, but Garmin has a terrible habit of releasing stuff that probably should still be in beta to everyone and just treating everyone as beta testers whether they want to be or not.

2 Likes

That’s actually a FirstBeat set of algorithms and data tables, used under license by Garmin.

I get it. But there are many things that affect this. Main one would be weather.
And it wasn’t util the 945 that garmin started to add tempeture to the calculation.
They are missing wind.
Because if you have’t try to keep T pace on a 15mph head wind, you haven’t live!

Let assume this is true (probably not), then i would expect this metrics to be accurate for me.
They have never.
Garmin claim my Vo2Max is “56”. I think it tell me my 5k times is somewhere in the low 18s.
Back a few months ago when i was running more while training for Boston, garmin claimed my vo2 was 60!!! Nope, huge nope. It would say my 5k prediction was low 16 (my PR when i was in absolute best running shape of my life was 17:43) and a marathon of 2:44 (Again my absolute best ever was 2:59:43 in 2017). So very unrealistic.

Also, the implication that the model doesnt work unless i do “max efforts” is not great.
I do go max effort when Im training. I do my best on every run. I try to keep the pace as much as I can until the heat and humidity takes the best of me and kills my run. Then garmin would say: “Bruh, why are you unproductive. You need to train harder”

So, I am trashing Garmin and FirstBeat because it simply too complicated and their algorithm do not work for most people on running. Cycling may be a different story (I get a very low Vo2Max there)

I have nothing but the best of experiences from both Garmin and Tacx support. However I’m based in Europe/Sweden not the US.