Garmin Forerunner 955 questions

re: temperature recording… I’ve only dual-recorded with a Garmin Edge (520 and 530) and iPhone/MacBook.

I don’t have a 955 yet, but if I did, would still record on my 530.

Thanks for confirming, I use performance condition as a leading indicator to fitness increases.

1 Like

So, I got the 955 last week, which makes this the 2 week of usage.

I am on tail end of a 70.3 training. My old 935 didn’t track swimming training effect. The 955 does.
So for the last 2 weeks the watch has been recommending me to rest. Every day. The watch tells me I should just do nothing. Today I did an easy 2800y swim, with no real speed and then an easy 6 mile run (TM, average of 8:25 mpm @ 146 hr). Recommended recovery time is now at 56 hr.

My question to owners of 955. Does the watch eventually learn and start being more accurate? or will this be my life with garmin from now on… My guess is that since swimming was not part of the calculations before it is kinds going crazy now

1 Like

It should learn more about you and give more accurate recovery times over time. When I first moved from a Wahoo to a Garmin Edge 1030+ maybe a year ago, it would tell me to recover for ~2 days after an easy ride. Yesterday, for example, recovery time was ~23 hours following 90 mins of Z2 on the bike.

I’ve also heard that the Garmin recovery time can indicate when you’ll be back to fully rested, vs ready enough for your next workout. They covered that a bit on the latest Fascat podcast.

How’s your battery life been? Mine was fully charged 14 hours ago before I went to bed, and I’m at 79% now. I really like the watch otherwise but the battery life after the first full charge has been :poop:

1 Like

its been ok… Not as good as expected…
fully charged Monday morning… no outside wo (indoor rides and TM runs)… battery @ 66%
So not much better than my 935

1 Like

Was that a post hurricane trip to the grocery store? Hope all is well where you are.

The recovery time on my 530 bike computer adapts over time based on load, I’d expect the same for swimming on a new 955.

2 Likes

Thanks!
I live in the east coast. So we didn’t fare as bad as the west coast (mostly rain and some winds). Most places are open today.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought. I haven’t watched much but Fort Myers got thrashed. A guy a worked with years ago lives in Punta Gordo (spelling?), been thinking of him too.

@FrankTuna @Joelrivera

My unofficial battery life is way better than what either of you are describing. I say unofficial since I have yet to fully charge and pay attention to the usage between charges, much less remember when it was last charged.

I’d wager I get minimum 7-10d including daily workouts of 1-1.5hr on the trainer w/HR, power, cadence sensors.

Are you guys using 3rd party IQ apps? phone notifications? No and No for me. I do have bluetooth enabled and it’s connected to my phone all the time, but I hate all the notifications and turned that feature/nuisance off. Turn off pulse ox. That will drain your battery w/a quickness. Did you adjust the backlight settings? By default it turns on like every time you move your wrist :smile: Also, I wonder if the display being black background or white background makes much of a difference. I am using a black background.

I guess I’ll fully charge it today and keep track of it until the next charge and report back.

3 Likes

For whatever’s worth, mine seems to use about 15% battery each day, with just regular use, pulse ox during sleep only, an hour or so of outdoor activity (with solar), and no ConnectIQ apps, so I’m probably getting roughly 7 days of charge, maybe?

1 Like

Good points…
Do have notifications and the back light on when wrist move. Maybe that’s part of the problem

1 Like

I must be doing something wrong or maybe got a lemon?

My watch face does have the default black background, and it does light up when I move my arm. No pulse ox, no music, no extra apps. I’ve been using it to broadcast HR on outdoor rides (3 hrs today for example) but that barely used power back on my Venu 2. I do have notifications enabled though.

It was fully charged last night before I went to bed…I’m current at 23 hrs post charge and 62% battery life remaining.

When it was brand new it came virtually fully charged and lasted maybe 7 days with the same settings! On track for 2.5 days/charge now.

Hi, I’m recovering from a burnout; the strongest i had, having to see a couple of doctors.
I’m almost 50 and I’d like to avoid getting to this point again; using TR analytics, Garmin 530 and the intervals web was not enough to prevent overtraining.
I suppose a fr 955 could help quite a bit with the extra data it gets, but i never used one of these so I’d like to get opinions about it.
Do things like training readiness, hrv data, sleep monitoring etc. really help?
Also, would a 255 be also good for this use, despite the missing stats like training readiness?
Thanks for all the suggestions; it has really been a bummer, to get the best performances of the last several years in TR only to fall off a cliff eventually!

It’s not the end all be all for keeping you from overtraining again, but I do like the HRV and Sleep monitoring. Combined with a Acute Load and the Training Readiness score (which I don’t use as a daily governor of my workout intensity as I find it a bit conservative) the watch can give you context for how your feeling and/or tell you how you will be feeling if you keep this up. Could I live without it, yes…do I want to, NO.

2 Likes

ICYMI…

Soon 955 (and 945) will get running power natively from the wrist…

Now that I dont have to invest on it… I might actually find its useful… maybe.

2 Likes

Native running power is only coming to 255, 955 and 945 LTE I think , not regular 945.

It’s a shame for me (945 owner) as I’d find that way more useful than the sleep metrics, but Garmin seem to be only making it available for devices with the latest sensor hardware

How are new users to the 955 finding the HRV status? I’ve got about a month’s worth of data (bought it on 9/2, been wearing it daily since), and my HRV status has been just a tick into Unbalanced the entire time.

So I’m trying to figure out how much of this is a result of general fatigue from pushing too hard the last month or so of the season (very possible) and how much of it is that there isn’t actually that much data, since the first data it actually shows as tracked is 9/22.

Basically, my question is this: is this a sign that I maybe need to take it even easier than I have for the past few weeks, or is it more that the data needs to get sorted out? My legs still feel like they’re recovering a bit, so I’m guessing it’s the former but I’d love to hear others’ experiences.

Here’s the report from GC, in case anyone’s curious:

My HRV status seems to makes sense, even though I’m not an expert. The two unbalanced days did correlate well with poor sleep and travel:

In general, I find the 955 pretty accurate. I do read of others who have their HRV in the upper 30’s to even 50’s. Mine seem to always find in a range of 26-32, usually closer to 26.

Mine current “baseline” is 50-56ms. When I’ve seen the value drop below 50 and tell me unbalanced, on those occasions I had back to back days of workouts and also slept poorly.

This week due to circumstances at work, I’ve only been riding every other day. I’ve also been sleeping really good. These two things are unrelated. The latter is because my twins are sleeping good. In any case, my HRV has been unbalanced on the high side now for 2d :man_shrugging: Can it be too high? :thinking:

While I do look at HRV, I find it more of a curiosity than anything else.

I find the HRV to be pretty accurate. Has shown when I was getting sick, had exceptionally hard training, etc. I like it more than what I got from whoop that’s for sure.