Fit and riding strategies for getting more weight onto the pedals (especially while riding slowly)?

My bike is the most comfortable when I am riding really hard and going fast, since it takes weight off my hands and my rear. Are there any fit or riding strategies for getting more weight onto your feet and off you hands and/or saddle?

I have noticed that using super low cadences at low power outputs (Z1 and Z2) helps me hold myself up while going easy.

Not a direct answer to your question but maybe you need more core strengthening work instead? Strong core muscles prevent too much side to side movement that in turn can cause saddle sores. Also helps to take off some pressure on the lower back, hands and shoulders.

For long duration rides you can consider clip-on aerobars in higher position. Something like bike-packers use.

1 Like

You can try lifting the front wheel a little on the trainer. It’s what happens when you go up a hill after all.

Core strength only allows you to take pressure off your hands when there’s enough weight on the pedals to hold yourself up (which is basically a matter of your power to weight ratio).

I have enough core strength but I have a lot of weight in my torso, so I need extra weight on the pedals to hold myself up. I could hold myself up all day if I didn’t have to pedal.

To make matters worse, I am in a low-carb weight cut phase, so my rides are much slower than normal, so there’s less pressure on the pedals.

Yeah, this does improve comfort on the trainer since you don’t get the benefit of the wind holding you up.

2 Likes

Weird “Iso” exercise I’ve been adding in over the past week. After my workout I’m trying to pedal out of the saddle with no hands on the bars.
I’m not sure what it’ll do long term but it sure does hurt and help me think about weight distribution.

It’s the closest thing I can get to “floating” over a rock garden indoors.

Have you tried raising your saddle a little bit? Might be worth a try, but do it in really small increments and try to mark or know how much so you can get it back where it was if it doesn’t work.

As mentioned, try raising the front wheel a bit.

Also, consider using lower cadence, which will increase the force required (because of the slower leg speed rpm). This tends to reduce saddle pressure from the higher leg force vs faster cadence and lower force.

Make sure to include standing breaks at regular times (every 5-10 mins).

I’d avoid raising the saddle, assuming the bike is fine outside. Higher can make loading g on the support tissue higher and worse.

I’ve been using very low cadences at anything under Z2 and it is quite effective. I have plenty of leg muscle to ride at 50-60 RPMs while I am just noodling around at <175 watts. This lets me take most of the weight off my hands and leave no more than just the actual weight of my arms on the hoods.

1 Like

If you’re serious about weight on the pedals and open to some out-of-the-box ideas… check out this interview with Eros Poli over at Pez Cycling :wink:

The idea came from Assos, a belt around your chest with a cable attached to the front of it and the other end attached to the handle bar extension. Imagine you are seated and trying to push a box away from you with your feet – then imagine doing the same thing with your back against a wall. It’s the same principle but really it’s only really effective at lower cadences, there was a drag on the parcours at Villach but our cadences were high so it wasn’t really required. And once you’re in your crouch, that’s it – for two hours! However it’s a terrific aid to climbing a long mountain pass.

1 Like

Apparently putting the saddle back a bit can help you balance better in the saddle. It changes the reach, though. Setting saddle tilt so you aren’t falling off the front of the saddle can also help. You can also get more pressure off the hands by letting more weight sit on the saddle.

Letting your heel drop also tends to push you back into the saddle, but that’s not necessarily something you want to do.