First VO2max today, brutal

Same here man. I found it a piece of cake. But 30 seconds suits me greatly. I’m definitely massively more type 2 than type 1.

I actually look forward to doing things like Spanish needle. The workouts that I hate are actually long endurance without breaks (leavit + 2 etc)

2 Likes

I don’t think it was the wattage that was easy for the work portions, but I think the rest periods were too long for me as I didn’t feel that accumulation oxygen debt happening. I think a better workout for me would be to keep the 120% efforts but reduce the rest - so something like 30/15s or 40/20s.

I’m actually more of a long SS/threshold guy, so I was happy to do this workout without difficulty. Like I said above, a better variation for me would be a 2:1 work/rest ratio like 30/15 or 40/20s. I just think my recovery is quite fast.

I also tend not to do as well on longer VO2max efforts like 4x5 and 5x5.

Noone does well on VO2Max intervals.

Yeah I kind of have the same experience. But don’t worry. As the plan progress you get to understand what the effort level is for different zones and you progress too. So by the time you do eclipse for an example you will have accumulated two hours at sweet spot, increased leg strenght, more fluid pedalling, All this show up. These plans are structured for you to be ready for the next workout provided you have good recovery. Go in with confidence and commitment to finish it even if it’s with a little les intensity.

1 Like

oh man the breakfast 30m before sounds like the worst part!

you still got some benefit, and you’re doing it right…get the duration in, then add on more watts.

if this FTP work, it’s flip flopped…hit the watts, then add duration.

good luck!

I know that I should fuel 3-4 hours before. But I do my workout in the morning. The best I can do is about 1:30 before the workouts. I used to do SS intervals fasted except for the 1:30 workouts. What’s the best way to carb load the night before?

Also one thing that occured to me is that it takes me a long time to settle into the effort level close and above treshold. Whether SS, treshold or VO2max the first set is always the hardest for me. It’s like my body tells me no I won’t allow you to get there. And then once I get “used” to the effort level and settle in I’m ok and can do more. For SS it feels like once I get after 1-2 intervals I could stay the for a very long time and do 2-3 more intervals. Even my heart rate goes down by 5 to 10 beats. Is it just possible my I’m of the long warm-up type?

just lean your diet towards carbs, i wouldn’t go too overboard just for workouts unless you find yourself really struggling with them.

What?! You mean you find the Blue Block of Doom scary?! :scream:

Yeah…been there…esp when I started with TR/structured training. I’ve definitely got some embarrassing newbie comments on some of the scary rides posted in the ‘What Workout Did You Do Today?’ thread. Get a couple months under your belt and you’ll be looking forward to doing your favourite workouts, instead of just dreading all of them!

1 Like

Antelope for me tonight…TSS 96… 90 minutes… :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:

2 Likes

Wow I read the thread and wouldn’t have thought of that. So I should eat just before the ride or during the ride for morning rides. The thing is there is usually 2 hours between I wake up and the moment I ride. The other solution would be the wakke up an hour earlier and eat right away, but IM usually not hungry when I wake up. Anyway I’ll test the meal times. .

It depends on your body. For me, eating 2h before an outside training/race is just the perfect combo. For early morning indoor workouts u usually get away with a cup of coffee and breakfast after the workout. It a personal matter imo. Course it depends on what/how u are eating the day before.

I don’t eat before sessions in the morning, but find the harder sessions a great excuse to fuel up glycogen stores by eating a pile of crap the night before :laughing:

I only really eat breakfast before for the longer endurance stuff where I’m not going to be under any pressure, so a dip in blood sugar isn’t really going to affect me too much.

1 Like

Done antelope last night… not so bad… not really suffering…
Can’t wait for Week 3 workout…

3 Likes