First Ramp Test -- FTP 387 and 5.5 w/kg. Is this right?

5.5 W/kg at that weight is getting into pro territory (the top guys who win the TdF are at around 6 W/kg). So unless you are this rare unicorn, I reckon you are putting out half the power.

1 Like

Nope, not in 2020 :joy:

2 Likes

Did I miss something? What are Pogacar’s numbers?

1 Like

As far as I know, 6.9 on the last climb. Roglic did 6.0

2 Likes

I didn’t look at the power numbers at this year’s TdF stages, but AFAIK if your specific power lies between 6.0–6.3 W/kg you are world-class, TdF yellow jersey material. (Correct me if I am wrong, though.)

How long was that climb? Was is short enough so that you could VO2max it?

A young amateur with a specific power output of 5.5 W/kg would probably attract the attention of some pro teams. FWIW I have ridden with some domestic pros a few times (I’m between 4.2 and 4.6 W/kg). After a race simulation (which left me completely drained), they did sprints for the fun of it with no visible exertion on the way back home (which was another 50 km or so).

1 Like

Final split time was 16’11 on the Planche des Belles Filles, so way past VO2 max duration (though of course might have some contribution)

The Planche is approx. 5.9km at average 8.5%.
Assuming his race weight of 66kg and bike weight of 7kg and no major tail/cross wind:
About 460w needed for a time of 16’11.
That would put him at about 6.97 w/kg.

Contador was doing 20 minutes at 7w/kg on a trainer, but probably fresh and well rested, not 40 minutes into a time trial at the end of the tour de france.

2 Likes

This is great context @coke, thank you. I only had anecdotal evidence as to what a “good” or “Normal” FTP should be, and I think the context was from pretty elite athletes (i.e. guests/hosts on TR Podcast). I’m brand new to the power-meter world, and 193 vs. 387 is all Greek to me and didn’t mean much.

Knowing your journey is helpful, especially learning how. your gradual build of FTP corrolated with your results at races. Good luck and thanks!

Yeah, 6.97w/kg for 16 minutes, not for FTP.

When pros w/kg are quoted in general terms, it refers to their FTP

I feel less bad about the 50 watts I lost off my FTP when I got off my not very accurate Tacx trainer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t be too far off though after going full-gas for the first part of the TT and after 3 weeks of brutal racing. Maybe not 6.9 w/kg, but I’d guess well above 6.

I am aware of that, just roughly calculating estimated power for that duration.

His ftp is not going to be 6.97w/kg, but that power over 17 minutes is monstrous. Assuming he could do a 20 minute effort at 6.97w/kg fresh (which is likely given he has just done 19 stages of the Tour), and using 95% as an estimate of FTP, that puts him at 437w at a weight of 66kg, and a W/kg FTP of 6.62.

2 Likes

If the true figure 193w is solid at your weight, and given the punchier nature of Mountain bike racing you may have a decent amount of headroom to grow your FTP into.

When I started cycling (but fairly fit from martial arts training and teaching) my ftp was at around 180. Couple of years later of sportive type cycling with no specific training I was at 220w.
260w with sweetspot training and increased volume last year, and consistent training has got me to 290w this year at around 70kg (about 154lb)

In racing crits (UK) I’ve podiumed cat 4, and been top 5 in cat 3 when I was 260w, I’m stronger now but haven’t really tested myself in racing due to Lockdowns.

1 Like

Makes complete sense, and I’m excited about that headroom to grow my FTP. TR SS Base workouts are so dramatically different from my normal MTB riding. It doesn’t really “feel” hard – i.e., my whole body isn’t sore from whipping the bike, and I don’t red line 100 times for 3 seconds to get over features. However, my legs are much more sore and I’m much more tired (going to bed earlier and earlier since I started).

Fascinating to learn how much you grew your FTP with structured training, and I’m eager to see how my journey goes. Any advice for a first-timer just getting acquainted with Base work that doesn’t feel hard in the moment?

1 Like

I was the same, going from sports from lots and lots of short sprint/high torque efforts with short recovery in between to doing longer sweetspot/threshold efforts was tough.

If you compare a sprint style workout to a sweetspot workout, you tend to burn through a lot more calories and do more work in a sweetspot workout as you spend more time close to your sustainable max wattage with less rest, so does explain the soreness and tiredness.

Sweetspot isn’t supposed to be super hard, but you do work really hard, its 85-90%, not 100%.
Also when you redo your ramp test after hopefully FTP gains, then next batch of sweetspot might feel a bit more uncomfortable…

He Polson1,
Sounds like we had the same problem with the same experience. I too bought the Assioma Uno pedal and selected double power thinking i needed too with only one PM pedal. I then trialed my previous virtual power numbers from my Cyclops Mag+ trainer and new Assioma Uno Pedal on my next FTP test. Pedals registered double the power and once I unchecked that setting all was good. Lastly, one thing I then ran into during TR workouts is that I couldn’t monitor my single leg exercises since I only had power numbers on the left side. As a result I upgraded to the DOU setup which Im glad I did. It’s not necessary but wanted to use the balanced data for training. If you purchase directly from Favero its cheeper then anywhere else ( includes free shipping and no tax). Hope that helps! Good luck and enjoy the training.
-Thomas

+uncheck double power on Assioma Uno settings
+retest FTP

Enjoy it for what it is and try not to get bored. Don’t hang up the mountain biking until you must. There’s no substitute for riding trails. I’ve even found that during build and special phases that if I’m not riding the mountain bike 2X (at least once) a week, I feel flat. The workouts in base are SO much different than what you do on a trail ride that I typically enjoy the contrast. When you get to build, it’s hard finding the balance of outdoor fun riding and nailing the plan 100% - I think most people benefit the most from a LV plan. The ability to do outdoor workouts (even just using RPE) is huge, if you can pull that off I was getting in the habit of nailing the workout and leaving a little time after to work on skills or even just taking the fun way back to the car. There’s a benefit from hitting the higher energy systems while in base training, might as well have fun with it too.

Kudos on doing the full blown 20 minute test too, I can’t remember the last time I did that version - it’s tough and shows a high level of mental toughness.

1 Like

Loser…:joy: