Finished "Grassy Ridge" with 148bpm HR avg, too easy?

Just wanted to post an update in here. I took another ramp test yesterday, this time with a bit more preparation (mostly mental), and also taking the test on my smart trainer in ERG mode. Not having to worry about changing gears or dropping cadence at any point was a HUGE benefit. I could just focus on my breathing, focus on keeping calm and just generally focus on the test. Seriously this felt like it made a massive difference compared to taking the test on my wheel-on “dumb” trainer.

Anyway, the new FTP which I think is much closer to reality is 234. And if this is still too low, it’s only maybe 10 watts. Reason I say that is because I did try a couple rides on my trainer (saris h3) with my power meter pedals on the bike, giving me two different power meter sources (pedals vs trainer). I found that after an hour long ride, the NP of the pedals was about 10 watts higher than that of the trainer.

Anyway, this new FTP seems more accurate and so we’ll see how workouts feel based off of it.

Side note: on both of my ramp tests, I found that my legs were not my limiter. On this last test I tapped out with a HR of 186, hitting the start of my final minute in the test with a HR of around 182. The first ramp test, I think I stopped around 182. One thing I feel could also have been a limiter was my cooling, im only using one fan and it wasn’t even hitting my face, which felt far from ideal.

1 Like