Feature request: Percent of FTP instead of Watts (% of FTP)

I just want to throw in my support for % FTP as an option

3 Likes

I feel like this is trying to be hyper-accurate about a value which is not that accurate.

From my understanding, the concept of FTP is really a range, rather than a specific value. The range is also different for different athletes. Further, the values are not cliff’s - the effectiveness doesn’t immediately disappear to zero after you pass the ‘limit’ of your range, it tapers off.

On this basis, the fact that your adjustment may be 1-2% out is really irrelevent. If you need to turn it down to get through a workout, turn it down 5%. If you need to do this frequently, you should probably re-assess your FTP to get a new baseline…

1 Like

+1

Tired of hitting the road and being before doing calculations with the calculator. My ftp changes several times a year, the% ftp is forever

1 Like

I’d want to see % FTP instead.

2 Likes

the% ftp is necessary. there are people who will not change garmin even if you go through training to an API.

1 Like

A more general request : make TR data fields configurable with the next major overhaul of the app… a bit more flexibility to individual preferences would be nice.
Not urgent though.

4 Likes

I fully agree - but I’d counter that (unfortunately) my brain is quite able to tell.

Tell your brain to shut up!

1 Like

I spend so much time doing just that…

I know the guys don’t want to do this but I like to see my HR zone on screen.

I like this idea too, I didn’t want to throw to
Many ideas in at once thiugh

Blasphemy! The non believer must be disciplined!

:heart: :rofl:

2 Likes

It is dead easy. Do what I do - Just to a spreadsheet and pin in on the wall above your turbo trainer.

On the road I am looking at watts. I want watts on the training - but I want to occasionally know what IF I am operating at, hence the spreadsheet on the wall.

3 Likes

I do a similar thing with spreadsheets, except write ftp ranges on my white board. But i still agree with the point that everything chad and the other coaches talk about is in terms of %ftp, and %ftp is constant, so it just makes it a nice option to be able to toggle and look at while training, takes out any need for mental math if your struggling that day to hold the proscribed wattage, but you can see you’re still in the range for Vo2 max adaption, or sweet spot adoption, or anything else. Sometimes when my power is a few watts under target its hard not to think “well. obviously this whole workout is a pointless”

3 Likes

Having a reference sheet is handy and one reason that I made mine, as well as sharing to for those who want a shortcut to getting their info. Here is my sheet for anyone who would like a decent starting point.

4 Likes

Excellent - just what I’m after. :grinning:

Did this arrive in a recent update? Could’ve sworn it wasn’t there when I looked a while ago…

I also think this may help with the mental game. Sometimes seeing the watts pysches me out. If it was always the same as a percentage, you wouldn’t be thinking so much about whether you can hold the watts when you see an increasing number.

2 Likes

Do you mean that. instead, you can stress about holding the percentage of FTP (without even knowing the Watts) :slight_smile:

I would far prefer to see - “Oh great, I managed to hold 305 this week and it was 300 last week - Yipee!” A real improvement…

I’m being super lazy on this one, but I just don’t feel like doing a new table every time my ftp changes. I guess I should have rephrased my title differently also. I don’t think that wattts should go away and be replaced with % of ftp. I just thought it would be nice to have an option or the ability to toggle between the two. Or maybe make the display screen customizable. I don’t know how hard this is for a software standpoint but thought I put that idea out there also.

4 Likes

Yeah, that totally how the “Feature Request” in the title and the forum tag are intended to be used. Additionally, Nate prefers the discussions that stems from these to look at the pros/cons and even alternate suggestions that arise from the talks.

The workarounds and other options suggested are offered as short term or long term options in the absence of the item requested. They may or may not be meant to supersede the given suggestion, but they are worth adding the discussion for a number of reasons.

This is all exactly how it should be done. They can and do review these and then set them on a list in an appropriate priority that they see fit. If they implement or not is up to them.