Feature Request: Make transition from high-watts to rest a bit smoother

During workouts, such as “Dade”, the transition from VO2Max (Zone 5+) to Rest (Zone 1+) is pretty abrupt.
As a result, in ERG mode, I am forced to stop pedalling as the resistance drops to pretty much zero.
To get around it, I tend to ease up with 2-3 seconds to go, which allows a more gradual drop back to rest period. This allows me to continue pedalling, as the resistance drops.

I’d love to see these 2-3 sec transitions from high to low wattage, just like to you have them on the way “up”.

2 Likes

You can switch to a harder gear when resistance drops then switch back once your cadence comes under control.

1 Like

If you use an easier gear when training, the resistance will track closer to the target power in these cases, which will allow you to keep pedalling during the transition.

The issue is that you have a lot of inertia in the freewheel when using a large gear, so when you go from 120% to 50%, the freewheel takes awhile to slow its spin you’re kind of pedalling along with no resistance for a bit. Using a lower gear means much less inertia, and a much more responsive ERG mode.

2 Likes

Not sure what gear combo you are using but I do my ERG work in the small ring and midway through the cassette because it allows slower flywheel speed and a faster reaction time to resistance changes. Also gives a straighter chainline and less wear on components

1 Like

Thanks. I may give that a go. Still, I think it wouldn’t be too difficult to add 2 seconds :slight_smile: