Extending time at FTP - 1 hour power as % of FTP

Vocabulary? Or physiology?

This isn’t some pedantic argument - nor is it theoretical, I’m speaking from personal experience here.

The ramp test worked really well for me at the beginning until it didn’t about ~80W later and started over-estimating. That combined with the fact that TR plans (apart from a few specialities) have a massive shortfall in long sweet spot / threshold work, and that I have a good anaerobic capacity, meant I could complete 99% of the workouts, and my ramp test results even kept going up (no surprise given how often I must’ve been working over FTP when it was supposed to be under).

I questioned whether my volume was too high (lol, I’m doing twice the volume now), whether I was over trained (after only 6-7 months…), whether I was losing my mental game etc. Dug myself a decent hole.

It’d be one thing if the ramp test had consistently never worked, or if the plans had enough long work in them to expose when your ramp test result was too high, but when you combine inconsistency with a lack of TTE work, you get what you see on these forums day after day. Today it’s someone looking to extend TTE when they can only hold their current ramp-test FTP for 25 minutes. That’s not a dig at anyone - I hope you continue to make great progress @CaptainThunderpants, honestly. Just listen to your body and don’t second guess yourself like I did.

2 Likes