Expected results after 8 week Sustained Power Build Plan?

Having just completed the LV Sustained Power Build Plan, I did the Sufferfest 4DP Test. My FTP hasn’t budged much which surprises me, but it has hugely improved my Sprinting capacity as you can see in the results. Is this what would be expected to happen under this plan? I was hoping for a more notable increase in FTP.

I would have expected your sustained power to increase, not your sprints???

1 Like

There is no one answer what sustianed power build can do. Some people see most gains during build, some people do not. I do currently SSB workouts mixed with build I am sure I would not see any gains in terms of ftp, but see massive difference with muscle endurance and ability to work on near threshold. If you have gained so much sprint ability maybe it was the part that was neglected in your case and that’s why you see much gains in this sphere.

1 Like

Isn’t seeing your sprints improve the complete opposite of what the sustained power build plan should do?

You still improved in all metrics, and your ftp increased by nearly 7%, congrats!

I think you just had more gains to make the top end. Your 5s power before the training block was what, about 275W? To be honest that is pretty low, so there was a lot of space for improvement - and improve it you did, by 60% !!

1 Like

There are VO2 max workouts in SPB so if your top end is very low you will improve. The plan is not focused on that but the fact the workouts are there you work on this part of your power curve. Remember that sustained power build is not necessary only about ftp but ability to hold that ftp for a longer duration.

3 Likes

Looking at the numbers, sustained power did increase by 10% which was the aim of this workout plan. So it works as advertised. I just thought that it might come along with increased FTP. I now understand that FTP increases require MAP aka sustained power increases and this is what has happened here.

1 Like

I’d be happy with that FTP increase, theres no shortcuts!!

1 Like