Example of completing a long ride on short training rides

My main Focus is racing 10 mile TTs (UK). So most of my training is fairly short, for example this year I have done 2 rides over 4 hours, my average longest ride per week is 2.5 hours. Through this training this year I have brought my FTP up from 300w-350w @ 80KG.

Having just raced the national 10 mile TT in the UK which was my main goal for the year, I decided I wanted to go and have some fun after months of structured trianing, with near perfect consistancy.

So me and a few friends went out and did a 400km ride. Some portions where fatigue was getting to me, but overall felt fairly strong througout the day.

So this is just to say, as the TR guys say on the podcast, you don’t need to train long to ride long, you just need to be fit. (Also a chance to share my awesome ride :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

Awesome ride! Mine’s nowhere near that long, but did complete an imperial century on just SSB2-MV.

Awesome! Yeah, there are several of us who can definitely attest to the same. I did a posting in July when I did 100miles after 12 weeks of doing all my SSB 1 and 2 HV inside. Definitely not as impressive as some of you who do it on fewer hours per week. I also just did another century ride on Saturday after another indoor only block from July-Sep (short power HV). Best part of my Sat ride was my aerobic decoupling for over 5hrs was under 5% so my aerobic conditioning is rock solid!

Yeh I guess I should say I followed medium Volume plans until 6 weeks out from the nationals where I bumped it up to high volume.

Almost exclusively outdoors after April, but my outdoor rides are pretty similar to being on a turbo, 5 mins to get to my training roads, early morning training so very little traffic. No extraneous riding just sticking to the plan.

David, how did the organisers manage everything at the nationals? I’m in the north of Scotland and there’s nothing on here whatsoever, the local CX series was canned months ago and there’s been no road events. I run too and the district cross country has been at best reduced to a four race series after Christmas but with the way things are looking at the moment I wouldn’t be putting any money on it happening. Bikewise, I had my eye on either the Etape Loch Ness for a local race (based on the fact that if it all goes tits up I just go for a ride, there’s no travel or hotels etc) or the Dirty Reiver but I just can’t see how big events like that can happen in the current climate.

Great effort on the ride by the way, impressive average speed for that long!

It was really well organised easier to do with a TT as start times are spread out throughout the day.
I arrived, got my number which was to keep, only one person in front of me at the number queue. The person handing out the number took my temp with a thermal camera.
Went back to the car got set up then went out and warmed up on the road away from the curse.
Turned up at the start line 5 mins before my start (we weren’t aloud to turn up at the start line any earlier.)
When I finished just went back to the car got changed and went home.
There were live timings online to check placing some throughout the day.

Seemed really smooth and not crowded at all. Came across less people than going to the supermarket.

Excellent that’s great to hear, the format couldn’t be better suited to a socially distanced event. Wonder if clubs will pick up on this as a way to do events next year.

There is a local club near Oxford that do TTs every week, I go to a lot of their TTs.
They had a system where I got a number at the First TT I did after lockdown eased, then that was my number for the rest of the TTs. All the sign up and paying was done online.
So for the following TTs I just turned up at the start line did the TT then went home. No interaction With the organisers needed at the event. It worked really well, and they were often having 50+ riders at each TT. (Which is a lot compared to our normal weeknight club TTs.)

1 Like