Effects of Anaerobic Capacity workouts

Did my first FRC/Anaerobic Capacity workout Tuesday around 5pm. Came into it hydrated and fueled but not overly with either. 6*30s, all out (no pacing) with 7 minute rests. It was hard, harder than I expected but no more than an all-out 20 minute effort. Although my body disagreed. I felt light headed for longer after I finished the workout. Then…

• continued light headedness for about an hour
  • HR was around 90-100 for awhile with my heart beats the strong type you can feel in your head
  • kidney pain (2/10) (continued until about 4am, especially after pissing, mild rhabdomyolysis?).
  • dry mouth (until about 1 hour after workout).
  • later that night, felt cold but skin was really hot to touch (continued until about 11am the next day) and woke every 3 hours to piss (clear though).
  • next day I continued to have cold/flu like symptoms

See my readiness score the next morning.

The next day I was very average. Slept very well the next night and readiness score reflects that.

I had no idea I could do this much damage to myself on a bike, inside my house, doing a workout with only 3 minutes of work no less! It didn’t feel exceptional during the workout.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am a little fearful about trying another AnCap workout again.

Thanks.

Yikes! Sometimes my legs are dead for a week after a set of 30-90sec all-out efforts, but nothing beyond that.

1 Like

I once did a workout of 2x3x15sec ALL-OUT sprints in a session, and afterward I was crazy lightheaded and just lay on the ground for over 5mins. Suffice to say I felt horrible for awhile, a little bit woozy and not quite fully there. But I was fine after awhile.

@DaveQB I bet it’s just unfamiliarity with the intensity, and after a few of the workouts it’ll get better. I don’t have science to back this up, but my theory is that REALLY hard repeated efforts like that stress our bodies to a point they almost never reach, especially in a training situation, so it’s a big shock to the system.

1 Like

Makes sense if you don’t sprint often. I toss in a couple end-of-ride 5-10 second hard efforts at least twice a week.

Thanks for the replies.

Right. The interesting aspect to this, for me, was my legs were the only part of my body that felt fine. Figure that one out :smiley:

Quite possibly. I’ve spent most sporting life (36 years of sport) playing anaerobic sport. So I thought I’d be ok at this :man_shrugging:

So I followed this up with a 6*20s workout, with longer rest (8m). Limited my time out of the saddle (last 3 efforts were all in the saddle), resulting in less power. It felt a more comfortable workout and I didn’t have these symptoms later, but I did sleep 10 hours that night after it. So it seems these AnCap workouts take more out of you (me anyway) than it feels like while doing them.

I absolutely feel lightheaded after doing repeated all-out 30-90 anaerobic capacity efforts. Also I ‘feel the burn’ for hours, which means going to bed and sweating because my workouts are generally between 4-7pm. And depending on other training, within a day or two my legs feel dead and its hard to do any intensity for up to a week. But I don’t alway get dead legs after doing anaerobic capacity workouts, versus always feeling lightheaded and feeling the burn for many hours after, which usually impacts sleep.

Anaerobic efforts are brutal if you haven’t been doing them regularly.

The better you are at them naturally, the more brutal.

It’s simply because those that excel at anaerobic efforts are ‘generally’ more fast twitch dominant athletes. Athletes like this are very good at maximal short duration efforts. However, they ‘generally’ also need more time for recovery. Both between intervals in a session and overall hard days per week.

First day ever of indoor training back in september I did the ramp test and immediately afterwards Birling +1 with a peak effort included because I was feeling cocky and wanted numbers.

Ended up lying next to the bike for 10 minutes in fetal position questioning some choices made that day. :nauseated_face:
Nauseous, clammy skin and severe cold symptoms for a few hours afterwards.

As someone that grew up playing football (soccer) and with a strong dislike for endurance running every late winter before team training started up I used to do a short sprint workout to shock the system.
Maybe not entirely optimal, but a lot better than ending up nauseous during training when the conditions will qualify with repeated sprint like efforts for 90 min.

Like others have said if you’re unfamiliar with the effort and even then you’re feeling the recovery more acutely.
The recovery and adaptation process from anaerobic is felt more acutely than say endurance/threshold due to intensity levels.

TL;DR:
I get similar symptoms on first sprint effort if there’s been a sedentary period.

1 Like

You did it right :sweat_smile: :+1:

Interesting. I’ve done 3 AnCap workouts and never are my legs affected. Didn’t have any of the other symptoms that I had after my first AnCap workout. I am not sure what that means :thinking:

Completed 6*60s @500w last night. Hard workout but legs are good today :man_shrugging:

Right I see. Thanks. I’ve heard something like this before. I think my symptoms are a sign my strength would be short power efforts. But I prefer TT racing :smiley:

This is matching up with my experiences over these 3 AnCap workouts I’ve done. Thanks.

:joy:

1 Like

I recently did a couple of workouts, full gas steep hill efforts of around 90 seconds.

First time, I managed 2 reps before I felt utterly awful, gums hurting, ready to lose my dinner. Felt it for a couple of days, wondered what the hell I’d done to myself.

Next week, 5 reps, felt like I could have done more. Power was similar, sensations during and after the workout completely different.

I’m reluctant to do too many of this kind of workout, apart from the effect on aerobic power alluded to in other threads on here, and I don’t think it’s necessary either. Principal benefits for me are in repeatability, not increasing power - and that comes quickly. Chuck in from time to time a couple of weeks before key races, then move on…

I’ve done a few AnCap workouts going back six years now, and only had dead legs for a week one or two other times. My 20-21 season was focused on sprint and resistance training, and had dead legs only once. My calendar for that year is filled with sprintervals and some AnCap sprinkled in. Not something I commonly feel, it simply has happened a few times over the years. Similar to classic vo2max workouts, those workouts reliably make me feel lightheaded, but none of the other symptoms you mentioned.