Dylan Johnson's "The Problem with TrainerRoad Training Plans": it's gonna be a busy day around here

That is definitely fair. I’m brand new to TR and structured training since February this year, but I’ve had time to listen to lots of podcats, read lots of blogs and read lots of topics in this forum to try to fast track myself some experience. No complaints from me, but not everyone will have that time.

And, of course, there’s still the possibility that I’m actually messing it up and I just haven’t found out yet. :slightly_smiling_face::man_shrugging:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good idea. Same here, I would love to just pay for it as the tool to do my TrainingPeaks workouts in, don’t need anything else really.

I do prefer the UI of TR compared to Zwift when it comes to intervals and whatnot.

3 Likes

That’d be so great. One of the biggest points of Trainerroad for me is simply the Windows/iOS app to control my trainer and execute workouts from Trainingpeaks.

Without using the plans it would be too expensive vs. other options out there (eg Trainerday or simply Garmin head unit) but for a reduced price, I’d happily keep on using Trainerroad just for this.

4 Likes

I’ve also (for years) heard them highlight the importance of base. Actually normally saying following the full cycle of base-build-speciality

1 Like

True, but with age, recovery tends to become harder. I can handle 3 hard sessions per week, and I am 41, but I don’t think everybody is the same. I’m just arguing that TR should be a bit more flexible here.

Weirdly enough, I need two days off the bike. I can add endurance workouts after hard workouts (if I have the time and it doesn’t compromise sleep), but I cannot handle 6 workouts a week, even if the additional (Friday) workout is an easy endurance ride :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, but TR base is very very different from proper aerobic base. They do have the traditional base plans, but very few seems to use them.

Hence why the best this is to spread out the riding intensity a bit more.

Even if you only have 5 hour a week, doing 1 hard ride (V02 Max), one mid intensity ride (tempo or such), and then for the rest of the hours, try getting in one 3hr z2 ride, or two 90min z2 rides. To build that “proper” base.

1 Like

I agree about flexibility. I hope AT becomes clever enough to replace the Low/Mid/High volumes choice but I doubt it, people will still have to choose.

I’m 52 and have found the biggest gains when training 6 days / week with a recovery ride on the 7th day. I use Mid Vol and on Friday add a 1hr endurance and then on Monday a 30min recovery ride. Only on the recovery weeks do I take the Fridays / Monday’s off.

Everybody’s different, if using online training there is a need to experiement a little to see what works, rather than blindly following what the plan says.

3 Likes

I think Standard/Advanced/Elite would be good names for the three levels. The LV plans are good for adding some structure while maintaining flexibility for other things, but most of us need to forgo a workout or two if we want to add group rides, long Z2, training races, etc. One solution would be to add a LLV plan with one or two key workouts a week. Call it the Supplemental plan meaning it’s intended for athletes who do other training. Another way would be to label 1 or 2 workouts of the LV to be key or core, with the other ones being intended to be replaceable by other things. This has the advantage that if you have a time crunched week you can just do the three workouts with nothing else.

5 Likes

So, so, so true, it is very individual as well.

In my 20s I could do anything I liked, I could do double days and recover.
In my 30s I could train hard 3 - 4 days and week, recovery was easy without even thinking about it or doing the right thing (eating shit, not thinking about sleep, the occasional party or boozy session.)
In my early 40s I could train 3 hard days a week and a medium SST session, call it 3.5 days a week. Lifestyle meant I was getting more sleep, going to bed a bit earlier, didn’t realise it at the time but I think it is why I could still train hard / med often.

I never noticed this difference at the time, it kind of sneaked up on me. The only reason I noticed this trend now is because in the last in the last 18 months since turning 47 suddenly my recover ability has dropped like a stone. Sometimes double rest days are needed and if I can get 9 hours quality sleep then I can still train 6 days a week but at a much lower intensity.

5 Likes

Wait until you hit your mid-50s. There is no such thing!

12 Likes

7 is the new 9

6 Likes

5 is the new 7 :frowning:

8 Likes

That rings so true to me: I can still do plenty of intensity (I have done MV and MV+ for several seasons with three days of intensity), but good sleep has become more and more important. In fact, the fitter I got, the more important it got. It makes sense: the closer I am to the ragged edge, the less leeway I have for things going wrong. Once, I created a block with HV- intensity and that was too much: every small issue would likely derail my training. I had no option to move a workout around or go to bed a little later, because life happened.

2 Likes

Same age as you, what really helped me was upping protein to around 2g/kg and around 4mg of melatonin for sleep

It’s the most expensive of all the indoor training apps, at least two of which provide actual worlds to ride and race in as well as training plans.

5 Likes

None of which negates my point, because I have choice in how I spend my money, and it’s not an either/or.

The different products have different strengths and weaknesses, and athletes have different needs and preferences. As a result, the perceived value of the products is highly subjective.

2 Likes

And their training plans pale in comparison.

2 Likes

Are you aware of Peloton? :wink:

5 Likes

I rode in a large peloton once during a crit. There were way too many people and it was scary!!! :wink:

1 Like

Even if you can get training plans somewhere else, one big reason I like to support trainer road is because it seems they take care of their employees and because Nate seems like a breath of fresh air. They aren’t simply trying to make money but they stand behind their product, which is rare these days.

Not to mention the podcasts are free, I have learned a ton from them, and they are responsive to customers.

Is it the best of the best to go pro? Well I doubt it’s better than a legit private coach. But how much are you paying for that?

16 Likes